ADSL/Phone connections

sil_ver 16:53 24 Jun 03

I'm to join the wonderful world (hopefully) of broadband tomorrow 25th. Perhaps someone can tell me if it is possible to use my present 56K lead with a suitable adaptor to plug into the microfilter? The reason I ask is because my present lead is about 10 metres long and it would be useful to be able to swap between ADSl and 56K as and when necessary. Anyone know where a connection converter can be bought if this lead is suitable?

DieSse 17:37 24 Jun 03

You can plug any existing analogue device (phone, analogue modem, fax, etc) via a micro fileter, and it will function just like it always has.

The ADSL line is the one which does not need a micro filter, and just plugs straight in to the phone socket. The microfilters exist to keep the ADSL data noises off the regular analogue devices.

If you want to plug in both ADSL and your analogue modem at the same time, you're best to get two cables. Your analogue modem will only rally be necessary as a fall-back if the ADSL is not working (unlikely), or for sending faxes.

DieSse 17:39 24 Jun 03

Or you can put a proper telephone socket on the end of your long lead, and plug both devices in close to the computer.

sil_ver 18:59 24 Jun 03

Thanks for the replys. I perhaps didn't explain myself. I'm aware of the requirements regarding ADSL and Analogue connections. What I should have said is, is the quality of the lead I am presently using on 56K suitable for use with ADSL if I fit a phone jack/RJ11 converter.

malgall 19:12 24 Jun 03

my computer has adsl and i have a cheap ten metre cable only cost me £5 and my adsl works fine. at the computer end i have a phone and computer contected to this cable i can also conect my 56k modem to this just in case broadband fails
in fact broadband is fantastic

good luck

graham√ 19:44 24 Jun 03

You can use the same lead without any converter or adapter of any kind, you will still have a phone socket to plug into. ADSL does not replace the phone socket, it just plugs into like a telephone or modem like you have at present. The lead you have at present will still plug into a phone socket for 56k modem, it is entirely seperate from the ADSL equipment.

sil_ver 20:29 24 Jun 03

I want to use the same lead for ADSL INSTEAD of 56K. but as there is a phone also connected to the same outlet I need to use a filter which means I will need a BT to RJ11 adaptor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…