ADSL Wireless setup for BT broadband

Danoh 00:39 04 May 07

I'm very familiar with setting up cable modem & wireless router for a network of a few PCs and have also set up an ADSL modem-wireless router, but only once before and it was 1 yr ago.

Please could a kind soul provide reminders on the router settings for a new Netgear DG834G ADSL-modem wireless router to work with BT Broadband?
I have agreed to help a friend, who now has 2 PCs (XP & Vista), to move over to the Netgear from his standard BT USB-modem, this coming long weekend.

Many thanks in anticipation of any comments and advice.

setecio 21:45 04 May 07

The settings you need are :

Internet Provider BT Broadband
Connection Type PPPOA
VPI/VCI 0/38
Encap vcmux

Danoh 09:46 05 May 07

thanks again, setico.
How would I be able to verify the VPI/VCI parms as 0/38 on his existing BT Voyager router (& other settings) when I'm round their place on Monday?
Multiplexing method, BT DNS, Host, Domain names?

Of course, he'll know his BT id and password, but I seriously doubt he'll know any more then that.

Encap vcmux? What is that please?

I'm assuming his Netgear DG834g router's default MTU size would be fine for BT's broadband (I think his is 4Mbps max service).
Will also check out his new Vista m/c's ip6 setting & report back on separate thread.

setecio 10:16 05 May 07

You will probaly find most of the settings are detected automatically or already set for the uk. If it doesn't work then look around the router admin and you will see them. If you want to make it easy download the user manual for the DG834G, and you can then act like an expert ;)

click here

If you don't know the version , any will do to give you familiarity with the admin layout.

Danoh 23:57 05 May 07

Thanks again. I prefer to set up manually. Guess if I'm stuck, I'll use the installation wizard 1st.

Danoh 23:10 07 May 07

He had quite a few problems on his PC which took a while to get it all straightened out.
So only had time to run with the Netgear (gd834g v3) installation wizard - held up as he could not remember his BT login nor password.
Also appears that WPA+WPA2-PSK does not always work with AES encryption but would on TKIP, where a laptop only stretches to WPA rather then WPA2.
WPA2-PSK ran fine on AES, on the Windows Vista machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5