Adsl wireless 11g router

swallow 23:46 05 Nov 05

I have just bought a 3com wireless router not realising my quite old pc running windows 98 does not have an Ethernet connection. I want to run my new laptop on the wireless system. Can anyone tell me what I need to set this up? I use a usb connection at the moment to a BT voyager router. Do I have to buy a new pc?

Splork 23:50 05 Nov 05

You can pick up an Ethernet NIC for £3-6, assuming you're OK with connecting your desktop PC to the router with a cable, and running the laptop wirelessly.
click here

alexgray104 00:41 06 Nov 05

I had the exact same problem, I got a wireless router and laptop card, got it all out and then relised I didn't have anywhere to plug it in!! I bought a D-Link ethernet adaptor from Ebuyer and that came with a drivers disc (which i imagine you'd need for 98) and that was £4.99. It all works fine, the ethernet adaptor just slots into an available PCI slot.

alexgray104 00:42 06 Nov 05

I wouldn't go as far as 'new pc' !!!!

Dipso 00:59 06 Nov 05

Is the 3com a wireless modem/router, not just a router? Is your BT Voyager a USB modem? There aren't many routers that allow you to connect a USB modem to them, but if the 3com combines the 2 then you no longer need the BT Voyager.

Just install an ethernet PCI card into your PC and if your laptop is already wireless enabled you should be away.

Batch 16:31 06 Nov 05

A word of advice on the 3com router - firmware updates are available (click here)for many of them and it is best to download the latest as there have been quite a few glitches. As the internals are common to a lot of brands, I suspect the same must apply to other makes.

woodchip 16:37 06 Nov 05

I have the 3Com Wireless Firewall Router Modem but I got a Wireless Laptop card with mine. If your Laptop is Wireless then Just by the 3Com PCI card that is hard wired to the Ethernet port. I Have a Win98se Hard Wired and a XP desktop hard Wired also the XP laptop running Wireless This should be OK click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…