ADSL USB Modem to Ethernet LAN

black_lucas 23:41 21 Jul 04

I have just configured a BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem. It plugs into a PC with a USB male plug and works fine on Broadband with one PC.

I also have a Sitecom Wireless Router with wireless network which has a WAN port to input from the ADSL modem. This also woks fine.

The missing link is that I wish to find a way to feed the WAN port on the Router from the ADSL modem so that all PCs on the LAN have Broadband access. For this I will need an adapter that has a USB female port (the more square one like the one that goes into the printer) and an RJ45 port (WAN port) and is capable of passing all TCP/IP traffic at 11 Mbit/sec in both directions as well as providing a power supply to the ADSL modem. The alternative is an adapter to change a male female USB receiver (like on the bank of the computer) to a male WAN.

Surely someone must have done this?

Many thanks for any pointers for obtaining or building one of these.

johnsims 00:04 22 Jul 04

Not aware of anything that will be both an adapter and provide a power supply. My suggestion is to buy an ethernet ADSL modem or use Internet Connection Sharing via the router, but you'll need the main PC on for anyothers to have access to the net.

black_lucas 23:19 22 Jul 04

I think I;ll just have to use internet connection sharing via the router. Just have my PC hooked up to the wireless network and to broadband and then share the connections with other users on the wireless network.
Problem is, I'm not sure how to set this up. Can anyone help?

johnsims 23:26 22 Jul 04

What OS are you running? Under XP it is relatively easy - there is a wizard to help you under network connections in control panel.
Would still advise buying an ethernet adsl modem, ebuyer have a Dlink for £42.31 inc VAT

woodt 23:39 22 Jul 04

You need to run the 'Set up a home network wizard' found in Start\My Network Places in Windows XP. Make sure all computers are turned on and the main PC is connected to the internet. The wizard is pretty self explanitory. Run the wizard on all computers.

flying grouse 23:47 22 Jul 04

ebuyer do a Belkin USB to Ethernet adapter if this is what you are looking for......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…