ADSL Upstream speeds

Clapton is God 16:33 08 Jan 11

I've had an "up to" 8Mbps ADSL service from Tiscali for more years than I can remember.

I always understood that the maximum upstream speed with that service was 448Kbps.

Until a few weeks ago I was using a Sagem USB ADSL modem and averaging 5.5Mbps downstream and 356Kbps upstream.

I've recently switched to a wireless router plugged straight into the BT master socket. I’m now averaging 6.3Mbps downstream (no complaints there) and 526Kbps upstream.

If the maximum upstream is supposed to be 448Kbps, how come I’m achieving 526Kbps ??!!

mooly 17:50 08 Jan 11

I can't answer your question but a couple of weeks ago I ran the BT Speedchecker and it reported download speed of 25mbs for me.

Seeing as my hub is showing 19.something mbs sync speed and my ip profile is 17mbs I find it hard to believe.

Speedtest.net shows a consistent 16.5mbs with 1mbs upload.

How are you measuring your speeds ?

Clapton is God 17:54 08 Jan 11

I've always used click here to measure my speeds. This site is regularly recommended by PCA members

woodchip 18:48 08 Jan 11

Tiscali is part of TalkkTalk I am on same 8Meg

I get 825kbps upload speed but does depend on your line quality and your hardware can have some effect Yesterday for my Wireless HP Laptop on the above [IMG]click here[/IMG]

woodchip 19:00 08 Jan 11

I am on TalkTalk 8Meg

mooly 19:05 08 Jan 11

Thanks... just tried your link and it compares well with speedtest.net which I have always found consistent.

I can't explain your results. Maybe you are on a higher profile than you imagine. Does your router show what your configured up/down sync speeds are.

Just picked this at random,
click here
which show actual router stats and sync speeds. Maybe your router is showing a higher figure than 448kbps.

Also
click here

john bunyan 19:32 08 Jan 11

I am with Pipex (Tiscali) and also on "Up to 8 Meg". Their speeds have improved recently ( I use speedtest.net) from 3 -4 meg back quarter of last year to currently 6.93 Mbps download. Uploads were .33 to .50 Mbps, and have improved now to .84Mbps (840Kbps). I use a Belkin N+ wireless router with ethernet to my desktop and wireless to laptop - similar speed. I had a lot of complaints on this issue early last year and found little difference between the BT test socket plugged in to the router, and my current set up where the router is plugged into a 25metre extension lead upstairs! Ithink, at last, that Tiscali have found more bandwidth capacity.

john bunyan 19:38 08 Jan 11

PS with your checker I got 6942 kbps down and 769 up.
mooly
Your 25mbps is amazing - what is youe "up to"? I thought such speeds were only available with fibre optic? My exchange is not yet ADSL x 2 enabled so I am watching and waiting on that issue.

Clapton is God 19:52 08 Jan 11

I've just had a closer look at my router. It's the 'standard' Huawei HG521 provided by Tiscali/TalkTalk.

I notice that it describes itself as an ADSL 2 router which may account for the higher upstream speeds.

I should add that, although I posted this in Helproom, I don't see any of this as a 'problem' more an area for educated discussion. ;-))

Interesting to see that woodchip is also getting well in excess of 448 upstream on the same 8meg package.

I know that TalkTalk are on LLU at my local exchange which may also be a reason for higher speeds and I'm barely 1 mile away from the exchange as the crow flies.

DippyGirl 22:06 08 Jan 11

O2 - ADSL2 - upto 8Mb contract
I consistently get 6900 down 1100 up
(have seen 12000+ down during the training period)
Always use thinkbroadband click here for tests

woodchip 22:07 08 Jan 11

And my Router is not a N, its a 3Com, G. I am about 1.5 to 1.8 miles from the exchange. In my house Router is on the End of a Very long Extension Cable about 120 feet long

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…