ADSL Upgrade from 512 kb service to 1 mb

CurlyWhirly 06:48 09 Sep 04

I am soon going to be upgraded from the standard 512 kb service to the faster 1 mb service and what I was wondering is HOW it is carried out?
Do BT, for example, just change a card or flick a switch?
Does anybody know what ADSL equipment looks like and if so could they send me a link as I am curious?

TomJerry 08:55 09 Sep 04

ADSL line/equipment is capable of higher download bandwidth (8MB, if I remember correctly). The upload bandwidth is limited to 256K, so ADSL ("Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line"). The actually speed setting can be set by software at BT exchange.

here is a few technology link click here, click here, click here

Sapins 09:22 09 Sep 04

Can't answer your question, but, I moved from 512kb to 1.2mb it's brilliant, especially for downloads which seem to complete before you can blink.

daisy2bell 10:05 09 Sep 04

I'm still on 512, so for normal browsing is it worth me upgrading (I hardly download anything)

dth 10:27 09 Sep 04

daisey2bell - not really

CurlyWhirly 12:16 09 Sep 04

Thanks for the links.

CurlyWhirly 12:21 09 Sep 04

When you say that you moved from 512 kb to 1.2 mb don't you REALLY mean 1 mb?
I am glad you are enjoying your faster connection!

I would say it's worth upgrading IF the 1 mb service doesn't cost much more than what you are paying now, for example, upgrading costs me just £5 more a month but if the difference was £10 or £15 then I wouldn't bother.

CurlyWhirly 12:28 09 Sep 04

I'm still on 512, so for normal browsing is it worth me upgrading (I hardly download anything)

I forgot to mention that as broadband becomes more popular then websites will be offering more broadband specific content (like streaming videos, music, etc) and a 512 kb connection might not be enough to enjoy these new features.
For example when I play a LONG video stream (like on the ZD Net website) where there was a SP2 discussion that lasted over 18 minutes I had to wait twice for RealPlayer to 'catch up' as I assume that the data couldn't be downloaded fast enough.
This spoils the experience IMHO.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…