adsl speed and cabling

yaesu 15:29 20 Apr 06

Hi folks,
currently on 2Mb I have about 20 meters of cable with 6 various connections/plugs/sockets from master socket to extension into which router is plugged.Looking ahead to 8Mb connection
would anything be gained by fitting a NTE5 faceplate to the master socket and running a directly wired cable to the voyager 205 router thus doing away with most of the connections.

Thanks, yaesu

wjrt 16:37 20 Apr 06

the probability is yes in telecomms every connection can cause a problem and potential loss of signal strength

chub_tor 16:52 20 Apr 06

In terms of speed there will be little or no difference as 20 metres is nothing compared to the distance you probably are from the exchange.
In terms of reliability you have everything to gain for as wjrt says connections cause problems and any reduction is good.
Having said that my connctions wander all over the place with umpteen connectors and soldered joints and touch wood I have never had a problem.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.

martytoon 17:00 20 Apr 06

I'm no telecomms expert so please don't take this as gospel! However, I remember in the days of analogue phones and modems we referred to REN numbers. I recall the guidance was that not to exceed 4 RENs off a single line - with generally each piece of equipment (phone, fax etc) worth 1 REN. I guess with digital technology the loadings on phone lines have reduced so this may longer hold water.

However, the more connections you have the greater chance of loose/poor connection and signal noise.So my recommendation would be to have as few additional connections as possible.

yaesu 18:01 20 Apr 06

Thanks folks, as I thought it may be. yaesu

Dipso 22:18 20 Apr 06

Don't know if you'll read this as you've closed your thread would be better off checking the line stats currently reported by your router (if it has that capability), to start with check what your Downstream SNR is. This will give you an indication of your potential MaxDSL speeds would be with your current set up.

Then if possible, plug your router in to the master socket and see if they improve (go up) when connected through that.

If your SNR is high enough, it may not be necessary for you to do anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…