ADSL self install

Cal 11:54 28 Jan 03

My exchange is just about to reach its trigger level at last.

I have six telephone extensions in my house and two lines - one for telephone use and one for internet use.

All of the extensions are configured for my home telephone number with a BT home highway box providing me with a second line for my pc.
I do not use an ISDN connection or digital enabled modem, I simply use the second line for 56k net use.

Considering I will be able to do away with my second line and use my home line for broadband activity, do I need to fit micro filters on each extension or simply to the master socket?
(I would prefer not to involve a BT engineer if I had the choice).

Anyone with a similar experience - advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cal.

shifty 12:19 28 Jan 03

I have done a self install and have managed using two micro filters over my three extensions. I have one filter in the line to the computer, and the the other filter into the adaptor connecting the extensions. I have three telephones on the system one of which uses caller identification, all working perfectly since installation in July. The only hicup I've had is where an air condensing unit was placed a bit too close to the BT main box which caused a problem with the filters.

Lionheart™ 12:25 28 Jan 03

Think you still need an engineer to uninstall Home Highway, unless I am reading it wrong on there site.

From there site

For customers wishing to switch from Home Highway or who simply prefer an engineer to install their broadband equipment. One off charge of £250 with a monthly rental of £29.99 a month.

Troop Leader 12:48 28 Jan 03

Two options.
One is to get BT engineer to install from the main socket, but expensive.
Other is to self install using splitters wherever you have 'normal' telephone equipment. Simply plug the splitter into the extension socket and the phone into the splitter. This is a lot cheaper and simpler and undertaken by vasy majority of ADSL recruits.
Sounds as though you could get rid of a lot of additional bits and pieces at the same time with your existing set up.

TL

graham 13:08 28 Jan 03

You will need a BT engineer to convert your home highway back to a single line, this shouldn't cost anything like £250, that's when they instal broadband on the same visit. If you get ADSL from some other provider they should be able to co-ordinate things.

Cal 13:52 28 Jan 03

Thanks for the advice guys.

Cal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…