adsl router/modem question

steveooo 20:54 07 Dec 04

i am wanting to set up a small lan usin 3 pc's and one broadband internet connection..

just wondering if i buy a adsl router/modem can i connect all three pc's together and use the internet on any pc without the internet connected pc always on..

only asking because i have to dial up to connect to ny broadband, and does a router not require dialin up all the time???????

mrdsgs 21:03 07 Dec 04

yes and yes

the router does the "dialling" therefore as long as it is switched on, any pc can connect to the internet, you don't need to have one permanently as a "server"

mrdsgs

jesta 21:12 07 Dec 04

i wanted to do that but i cant seem to find any router that does that which arnet wireless.you got any recommendations?

jesta

Technotiger 21:29 07 Dec 04

Have a look here click here, I have the 5100S ADSL Modem Router. Very satisfied.

mrdsgs 21:31 07 Dec 04

wired only roters do exist but the price difference is negligible. get one with wireless and you can go wireless in future if you want.

mrdsgs

mrdsgs 21:34 07 Dec 04

click here

mrdsgs

Meshuga 22:24 07 Dec 04

I have exactly the setup you are suggesting and it works perfectly using a Netgear 834 ADSL router/modem.Meshuga.

steveooo 23:33 07 Dec 04

think im gunna go for the dabsvalue ADSL Modem + 802.11g & 4 port Wireless Router..

should do the job and quite cheap too..

steveooo 23:46 07 Dec 04

its had some bad reviews dont know if to go near it or not... click here

TomJerry 00:52 08 Dec 04

Ebuyer 4 Port ADSL Modem Router £30.54 click here

hundreds of happy users (including my self), you can read 300 happy reviews in Ebuyer site.

you linkeach PC to it through network connection. If your PC has not got network connection, you need to fit one £3.59 click here

steveooo 11:20 09 Dec 04

think ill go for that one then...

only thing can i add a wireless access point later on if i want???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…