ADSL Router question

daisy2bell 06:50 18 Jan 05

Does anyone have one of these.
"Thomson SpeedTouch 510 4-Port ADSL Router"

I'm thinking on getting one so I can access AOL on 2 computers at the same time.

Thanks

ACOLYTE 09:45 18 Jan 05

Did the other way not work?,i thought they were already connected together via LAN.

daisy2bell 09:56 18 Jan 05

ACOLYTE, I decided to go down the ADSL Router way, this way I can access AOL on 2 computers at the same time.
The Other way Only 1 computer can be on line at any one time.
Thanks

Chezdez 09:58 18 Jan 05

you'll need a router/modem/switch combo really

i use the Dynamode All In One ADSL Router+ADSL Modem+4Port Switch+VPN+Rules Firewall, avaliable from click here for my network between my flat and a friends, works fine

ACOLYTE 10:09 18 Jan 05

It must be an AOL thing because mine is set up via Lan and both pc's can acsess net at the same time,although the main pc has to be switched on,thats the main drawback,im on BT.

Chezdez 10:13 18 Jan 05

ACOLYTE, is you were to stick a router/modem/switch in instead, then you wouldn't need the main PC on, as they use their own power source :D

the idea of having to have the main (my) PC on all the time was a problem we first thought up.

also, if you do it the way your doing it, you end up with uneven sharing of bandwidth, so the second computer could end up, potentionally, with a dial up speed *shock, horror*

ACOLYTE 10:18 18 Jan 05

Strange never had a slow connection on any pc,i did go down the router route once lol,long story.

Chezdez 10:20 18 Jan 05

router route, thats funny, haha.....

daisy2bell 10:44 18 Jan 05

Thanks guys

ACOLYTE, yes I believe it is a AOL thing as I looked it up and the only way to get 2 computers on at the same time is via a router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…