ADSL router - Networking LAN?

compumac 18:33 04 Feb 05

I have today obtained a Broadband connection I previously had a network hub and was able to view files etc on my other computers and print from any computer to my printer. I have purchased a BT Voyager 240 modem/router and I believed that the title ROUTER meant it could replace my existing network hub. Now I think that I am wrong.
Am I, and if I am can anyone advise?

MikeOT 18:50 04 Feb 05

if there are no extra rj45 sockets in the back, then indeed it is not going to work - it is more of a modem than a router - that's bt for you. I'd by a wireless router for well under £100 and plug that into the adsl modem between it and the pcs. It will have a few rj45 sockets for wired connections.

Mikè 19:17 04 Feb 05

You have not brought the wrong item, a four port adsl router is exactly what you need.

Why do you think you may have bought the wrong thing?

compumac 19:25 04 Feb 05

I have four ports on the Modem router but only using three to connect to three PC's. I am unable to see the other PC's on the network as I could previously, thats why I think/thought I have the wrong combination.

Mikè 19:39 04 Feb 05

Are they in the same workgroup for example mshome?

Mikè 19:44 04 Feb 05

Can all connect to www, have you enabled fie and printer sharing?

As a further thought are you using software firewall/s?

compumac 20:36 04 Feb 05

YOU HAVE GOT IT IN ONE Firewall was the problem. I had prior to installation of broadband connection checked that all of the networking functions worked OK, - which they did, and obviously the installation of broadband connection must have interfered with that.

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…