ADSL Router with Cable Broadband: Help

MrSheen 17:18 30 Jul 06

Hi
I bought a Linksys ADSL router for my Mum & Dad last month when they were on Wanadoo ADSL. They've now changed to ntl and have a cable modem, but the ethernet cable is the wrong sort for the router. Is there an easy way around this without having to buy a new router?
Thanks
Chris

FelixTCat 17:27 30 Jul 06

Chris,

If your parents only have one pc, they don't need a router. The modem plugs straight into the pc.

ADSL modem routers and cable broadband don't mix. Your only hope is to plug the cable from the cable modem into one of the ports of the router and the pc into another and see what happens. Some routers have auto-sensing ports.

You will need to switch off the modem part of the router in its setup pages if there is that option and also decide whether the cable modem or the router should act as the DHCP server (but not both) - probably best to use the router.

Otherwise, you will need a new router.

Good luck,

Felix

MrSheen 18:11 30 Jul 06

Thanks Felix. They have a laptop too which is why i got the router in the 1st place. I'll try your suggestions next time I'm round. It's a linksys router, which I've heard are pretty decent so maybe it might pick up the modem even if it's in the wrong port.
Thanks again
Chris

ade.h 18:19 30 Jul 06

I often use Linksys routers - they are very good indeed (though not very easy for novices to configure). You will almost certainly not be able to use it as you intend however, though it would help if you mentioned the model number. WAG54GS, WAG354G, etc?

If you have an more questions, post in Networking, where I, Felix and a few other regulars can always be found!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…