ADSl Router

Clayton74 17:25 10 Jan 03
  Clayton74 17:25 10 Jan 03

I have obtained a adsl router with an rj45 connection for the adsl modem, the problem I have is my modem is (Alcatel) USB connection is there anyway I can connect my modem to my router

Thanks

jazzypop 17:35 10 Jan 03

Nowadays, the term 'router' is commonly used to decribe a box containing a modem and a switch. If this is what you have, you can disconect the Alcatel, and connect the phone line to the router.

To be safe, it would be helpful if you could post the exact make and model of your router - you should find an identifying label at the rear or underneath.

Clayton74 18:04 10 Jan 03

The only infomation I have is BR41. The manual does not tell me what make sorry

Clayton74 20:34 10 Jan 03

Thats the one. Any help please

jazzypop 21:30 10 Jan 03

If you look carefully at the ports, you might see one that is slightly smaller than the others, i.e. it has an RJ11 (telephone) socket, whereas the others are the slightly larger RJ45 (network) sockets. If so, this has a modem, and you connect the telephone cable to this, instead of to your modem.

You then need a standard (not cross-over) Ethernet cable to connect between the router and your PC's network card.

Clayton74 07:57 11 Jan 03

Thanks for all the help I will have to purchase a new router

Psiman 08:33 11 Jan 03

You really don't have to buy a new router. Throw away your ASDL USB modem (not literally) and connect your phone line to your present router, as jazzypop says. You don't need to use a router and a modem. Reading the details that ßéŁâ posted, you can in the future, add more computers if you wish as it has an integrated 4-port switch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…