ADSL Router

john-232317 08:02 19 Sep 03

Hi Guys

I am on win 98, K6 400 scsi system with 512 memory.

I am in Spain wlth Telefonica, the router is all OK,its on all the time so I think it is set up on a LAN ?, although i dont find any program that runs it ?. Where should i be looking ?.

The router has connections for 4 computers, so if i got a new PC could i just take the card out of the old one and use that or would it need some sort of progam installed ?

Sorry if i sound a bit dim, but ive only had dialup before, also sorry for so many questions, but i know you like something to get your teeth into, and i did not want to start a thread for each...;-)

regards john

OK, a router is an independant device that connects to the internet itself and therefore is not reliant upon the PC at all. All that you have to do is to program the router with the username and passwords applicable to your account and away you go - I would think this has been done for you when it was first set up.

Yes, basically all you need to do if you get a new PC is to install a network card, this would require drivers to work but then a new PC will have windows xp and therefore I suspect the drivers will be installed automatically.

Further, most new motherboards (and therefore PC's) come with ethernet connections on them already and so there is no need for a network card. Simply get a RJ11 cable and connect to the router and you will be away.

john-232317 10:12 19 Sep 03

Nice one, thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5