ADSL Problems

OK Computer 20:28 02 Dec 03

I'm having a problem with my ADSL connection...

Well I might be or I might not!

The thing is I have been given an activation date of 10/12/2003. In my wisdom (!) I thought I'd check to see if the line was ready prior to the activation date (not expecting much but thought Id give it a go).

However I am receiving error messages that I didnt think I would get (even if the line hadnt been activated yet).

I have a Samsung AHT-E310 and have installed the modem (a ext. usb adsl modem). After installing it it has created a Dial Up connection (something I wasnt expecting for ADSL!?!) I double click it (after setting up my IP/DSN addresses) and instantly get the error message:

"Opening Port... Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error"

When creating a broadband connection through XP's wizard I get the error message:

"Opening Port...Error 769: The specified destination port is not reachable"

Im not sure if anyone has been as impatient as myself and tried connecting before the activation date, if so are these normal pre activation error messages?????

Thanks in advance
Martin

BT will need to physically re-jumper your line in the exchange. If you have been given the 10th, that's when the computer will tell an engineer to do the work.

Gemma 20:40 02 Dec 03

The device is trying to fly in a vacuum. The error messages look real. It's the modem that makes the physical connection and it can't as the gubbins in the exchange isn't there yet. Don't forget the ADSL filter.
Patience Martin, broadband is worth the wait.

OK Computer 20:56 02 Dec 03

Ok thanks for the replies. Thought I was being far too impatient, its just the speed of the error messages threw me, was expecting some kind of time out on connection but your right i'll be a good boy and wait...now to get drunk to pass the time away!

Djohn 20:58 02 Dec 03

If your activation date is the 10th., then as above, that is when the switching at the exchange will be done. Could be any time between 8am and 6pm, ussually the work is done early in the morning, might even be done at the exchange the day before the 10th. but will still not work until your ISP connects you to the server at there end.

Your billing will be from the 10th. so your line will be ready for use by then. With my ISP the exchange was activated two days before the Activation from the ISP. My ISP arranged for my modem and CD to arrive on the day of activation/billing date set by them, and it did. On line in a few minutes. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…