ADSL / Phone line problem

Zilva 16:20 21 May 09

Hi all

My broadband will only work when the router is plugged into the BT Test socket. The internal phone wiring runs around the house in a big loop and when I plug the router in to any of these 5 sockets on the loop the connection drops frequently.

Any advice on how to fix it or who to contact to fix it for me would be appreciated.

SB23 16:26 21 May 09

I would suggest that you shorten the distance between the master socket and your modem on a permanent basis, this is probably the reason behind the drops that you are getting.

SB23 16:29 21 May 09

I'm connected using a 10m extension with no problems and no drops, but its connected directly to my master socket, and with that I can have my pc in any room I wish.

Technotiger 16:43 21 May 09

How many telephones connected to your Loop - remembering that each telephone connected will require an ADSL Filter/Splitter.

UK Sub 16:45 21 May 09

It is recommended that microfilters are fitted into every phone socket, things that are often forgotten are Sky Boxes, Fax Machines and Burglar Alarms.

Technotiger 16:45 21 May 09

Any fax machine connected in your loop will also need an ADSL Filter/Splitter.

Zilva 16:46 21 May 09

Thanks for the suggestion, but I used the same modem lead in all the sockets, it is a standard short one (2m?). The only place that it works is in the test socket. I think I am getting interference from mains induction somewhere around the house.

Zilva 16:48 21 May 09

Thanks for responses. I have tried disconnecting every other device in the house (1 phone, 1 fax and Sky box) apart from the modem/router and I still get sync loss and disconnects.

Technotiger 16:54 21 May 09

But do you have ADSL Filters fitted to all items?

Rahere 16:54 21 May 09

You could try a home plug system - this will allow you to use the power sockets in your house as a network...between about £45+ a pair.

Rahere 16:55 21 May 09

You could try a home plug system - this will allow you to use the power sockets in your house as a network...between about £45+ a pair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now