ADSL PCI Modem problem

Indigo 1 16:54 12 Mar 04

My ADSL Access Runner PCI Modem keeps disconnecting and then re-connecting.

I have checked for Virus', Spyware, Adware etc. but still have the problem.

Avice from my ISP was to connect directly to the Master socket without extension cable but it is not possible due to location so have tried new cable without success, also tried swapping Splitter/Filters without success.

Disconnection is random and sometimes the PC will not connect when brought out of standby and today it took 15 mins to connect (it connected a few times for a few seconds then disconnected), sometimes it is still connected when brought out of standby.

Another problem happens when the PC is in standy mode, my phone indicates that the line is in use (LED flashing) and when the phone is "picked up" there is no tone or any sign of activity. When the phone is "hung up" it immediately rings as if there were in incoming call and when "picked up" nothing, it will continue this cycle untill the PC is turned off.

When the PC is started again all is usually well, except it may or may not connect.

I suspect a faulty PCI modem but am having trouble pinpointing the problem, XP Proffessional indicates that the modem is functioning correctly and the Troubleshooter is of little help.

Where can I start to look for answers ?

Anyone know of suitable sites or software (pref free). ?

deadneat 17:26 12 Mar 04

It sounds like a faulty modem. You could try deleting the drivers, restart pc and reinstall drivers. Have you run windoze update recently? this may tell you if there is updates available.
Can you borrow a usb modem from a pal?

Chegs ® 17:30 12 Mar 04

To cure my Conexant modem from con/discon every few minutes I had to run sfc /scannow.I found the cause after months of hassles,it was Nero's InCd.I also get this every time I use any registry cleaner.

Indigo 1 18:09 12 Mar 04

That's worth a try, could you walk me through it ?

Indigo 1 18:11 12 Mar 04

Sorry deadneat I'm not ignoring you but have already gone down that road and found it was a dead end.

Cannot borrow USB Modem either.

Indigo 1 18:36 12 Mar 04

I have run sfc /scannow but it didn't indicate any problems, I was not in front of the PC when it finished but I assume any problems would be brought to my attention.

It didn't make any difference as it has just disconnected and then re-connected in the middle of writing this.

Back to the drawing board.

Indigo 1 22:53 12 Mar 04

I am still stuck .....Bump

madPentium 22:59 12 Mar 04

just as a matter of interest, has this connection ever worked without problems? Isp's normally supply external usb modems, did you recently purchase the pci one and install it?

Its just that sometimes a little bit of history can make a cure obvious

Indigo 1 23:05 12 Mar 04

It was working fine up untill last week (Saturday morning) when I noticed the phone problem and has got steadily worse. It is now disconnecting roughly every half hour, it re-connects immediately though.

PCI modem came as a self-install package with two splitters, have been using it for a couple of months now.

Chegs ® 02:12 13 Mar 04

Sorry to see my suggestion failed,it cures mines on/off activities.The only other suggestion would be to completely delete all driver files/Device manager,and reinstall them again.If your using the drivers from TheMadHouse,remember to set the VCI=38 as its default is 35.

Indigo 1 10:19 13 Mar 04

Cheers Chegs ®, I might just try new drivers to see if it helps, but I may have solved it. I remembered that I installed an inline surge arrestor just before the problem started so have now removed it and all appears OK so far.

During a bad period of disconnecting and re-connecting I removed the inline surge arrestor and it has been fine for a couple of hours now without problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…