ADSL PCI Modem Card

Silverfox_Ken 11:29 23 Feb 06

I have a ALCATEL Speed touch PCI Modem card to install. I have the drivers.

Does any know how one can test the broadband operation before signing up with an ISP.?

I thought that BT may have a test facility which is independent of the ISP server but I'm unable to get any info.
Thks
Ken

Fingees 12:01 23 Feb 06

Go to

click here

click on broadband under At Home.

Then scroll down page to chack avaiability.

enter phone number, and it will tell you what speed is available on your phone.

You dont have to join BT Broadband to check speed

Silverfox_Ken 12:15 23 Feb 06

Thanks, I'm OK with the telephone number and speed. I really want to check that the modem will operate correctly with all the proper protocol.

Fingees 14:58 23 Feb 06

No way really, to my knowledge, as the exchange have to do a special patch/install for you to actually get BB.

Obviously this will depend on your ISP, and their requirements to BT.

ade.h 15:28 23 Feb 06

Are you worried that the modem may not work properly?

PCI ADSL modems are generally very solid; I used to use a Zoom with a Conexant chip, and that was great. Yours may well have the same chip.

Silverfox_Ken 16:10 23 Feb 06

Thanks ade.h
I'm sure it will work with the correct settings but before changing from dial up I would just like to confirm it all works OK . I read somewhere that there is a test facility which bypasses the ISP server giving confirmation that
your equipment is fine.
The facilty exists with dial up where you can use a BT test number to log on.
Ken.

Fingees 16:20 23 Feb 06

As someone said in a previous post by you. You can't do it until the line is activated, and that won't be done until your ISP requests it.

ade.h 16:28 23 Feb 06

Dial-up and ADSL are a world apart.

On a related note; you will probably find that the PCI modem will not dial your ISP for you like USB modems tend to do. It will establish the ADSL line, but then it's either down to you to click on a desktop icon to "dial" or you can set Windows' Internet Connection Settings to dial automatically when needed.

Personally, I always kept it "manual" because the autodial system is a pain in the backside to get rid of if you change your mind. It came on accidentally once, through nothing of my doing, and it took my a week to sort it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…