ADSL over LAN, packets sent problem

truane 19:47 01 Jan 05

I access internet via a LAN connection to a router into Plusnet. I occasionally have a problem where packets sent rises to figures like 8.5 thousand million in a couple of hours and badly interferes with internet browsing, email gathering, etc. Windows Task Manager shows no heavy activity on any resource or process, so I cannot detect the culprit. I'm running Win XP Home with SP2. Any ideas, please.

Technotiger 19:51 01 Jan 05

Hi, this is just a thought - I am not that knowledgable, but have you checked for hijack/spyware etc cos that what it sounds like to me.

Happy New Year.

truane 19:58 01 Jan 05

Hi Tcchnotiger,

I have been wondering about spyware, etc, but 8.5 thousand million packets??? Someone must be receiving the full contents of my hard drive several times over! However, I will mount a check for this. Thanks.

Technotiger 20:01 01 Jan 05

Hi again, it is possible that a hijacker could be using your pc to send spam by the millions, without your knowledge.

LinuxPenguin 20:55 01 Jan 05

good suggestion technotiger

i would suggest this is all it could be, or using your PC to DDOSA an unsuspecting website... (ive seen that happpen before...)

run adaware spybot spywarenalster and hijackthis (for hijackthis, save a log and emial it to someone who knows what theyre talking about, i dont mind, but do you trust me *rolls eyes*) lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant