adsl offline

tulix 23:43 26 Mar 03

My brother plays rogue spear online using adsl but every now and again it drops the connection to the net.Only does it on this game. Any ideas

Megatyte 02:50 27 Mar 03

A rogue spear maybe? ;o)

Spook Tooth 07:29 27 Mar 03

Are you sure it *only* does it whilst he's playing Rogue Spear online? I ask as it may just be that he's spending a lot of time playing this particular game and little time on others (making it appear it is a problem exclusive to this one game).

In any event - far more information is needed in order to provide useful comment as to what may be causing this problem. And it isn't really altogether clear how much of a problem it actually is. He needs to see if there is a particular pattern - ie, on particular servers he's playing on, after patching/modding the game, at a particular time perhaps... the list is extensive.

Is it loss of line sync? Ie the modem loses connection? What type of modem? Is it USB or internal? What motherboard chipset does he have? Does he have a (PCI) soundcard? There are seemingly conflicts with certain mobo chipsets and USB ports/soundcard devices and all sorts.

Just as an ideal stab at one particular thing worth trying - remove the souncard completely (if he has one). That is if it's an internal PCI modem he has - see if it sorts it. He could also try as a first step ensuring 'hardware enabled sound' is disabled in the game settings to see if that improved things at all. Though it is often best to remove the device physically as well as uninstalling drivers for it.

Again - just widely speculative stabs in the dark really. Enlighten us a little more and post more info on OS, hardware, and most importantly how often it is disconnecting. Less than 3 times a day (18 hours) by BT's standards for loss of line synce whilst not ideal is considered nothing to worry about - but of course if it's caused by whatever combination of factors persists whilst running games (greatest component stress), then it's far from ideal as I myself know only too well.

Get him to call his ISP - they may have some good suggestions and will more than likely be willing to talk at length to him about what he should check specific to what his system comprises of and what the problem is in detail.

tulix 18:36 27 Mar 03

oh my god way complicated

tulix 19:04 27 Mar 03

if this helps any .Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600) KINGFISHERITWORKSPC nFORCE-MCP
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1550 megahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6367
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 07/19/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
40.55 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
19.50 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 [CD-ROM drive]
RICOH CD-RW MP7320A [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST340810A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0
WDC AC2540F [Hard drive] (540 MB) -- drive

allstar 19:06 27 Mar 03

tulix

Spook has had more than his fair share of adsl probs so if there is anything wrong he should know. (lol spook tooth - talk about frightening the poor guy).

tulix 19:10 27 Mar 03

just a novice guys. lol

Spook Tooth 13:09 28 Mar 03

NForce (nvidia) is the chipset. Allstar has the very same one so will know far more about that, and may bea able to suggest if there are any know incompitbailities/issues regarding either powering USB ports (if the external modem is external USB) or internatlly fitter ADSL modems (the PCI variety).

Still don't know what graphics card you have (determines if the question of your brother having game settings maybe a little too high and system resources being overstretched is maybe an issue? This is the same for your Athlon XP 1800+ if that's right). Also goes for amount of system memory you have, 256MB, 512MB or whatever it is. Just general considerations to think of for gaming - the point being that with an ADSL connection (or any other really), your computer will be working at full tilt to supply every devices with enough power/time etc and connections can sometimes suffer and hence drop.

Anyway, I removed a soundcard device from my own system (Creative Soundblaster variety - Audigy card), though it is still too early to say really, my connection problems at least seem to have improved if not cured themselves. Likeliest scenario was a conflict with that card with the internal (PCI) modem I have fitted. Another chap I know has the same setup as me (almost... poor guy), but has an external USB FDX310 Futijsu adsl modem also with Audigy card and has never had any such problems.

Tulix - I was giving general ideas for you to consider and investigate yourself. Your diconnection problems may be complex but curable with a simple solution (as were mine it seems eventually). Unfortunately these computers are always giving grief, especially whereby upgrading/adding a certain component (like an ADSL modem) may not result in totsl harmony with other devices.

A little more information about the problem itself is needed if you are going to let people know if indeed there is a problem. See above by Spook to see what info would help in this regard. And call your Internet Supplier or get your brother to do so - I bet they'd be able to help in a flash, and they'd get ideas for you laid out far more neatly than here. Do that first I would - they will be slow to respond, unless you are armed with this info I requested as they will try to rule out many novice problems before taking it further.

Sorry for confusing or frightening anyone. ;0)

tulix 23:11 28 Mar 03

Thankyou guys i will do alittle more research on wot he has hardware wise and try to narrow it down alittle.I will let you know the outcome.Regards tulix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…