adsl: now what?

TheTerminator 07:34 14 Nov 03

My dear mama has just got on t'internet using BT broadband. Or she will next week anyway! What I need to ask you is in preparation for this, what do I need to do when the modem etc comes?

I've heard all you do is connect the modem to an adaptor and the adaptor to a phone line.

Then a network cable (What type?) connects from the adaptor to your network card point.

Is this correct?

Then, they also have another phone upstairs based on an extension from downstairs... Do I need to do anything there? Phew! This is confusing...
Any comments/advice would be most gratefully received. Costs and the time to install things are what I am after.
Cheers!

jolorna 08:07 14 Nov 03

if you are getting the modem from your adsl supplier then everything will be in the box just follow the instructions to the letter and all should go well

Eagie 08:11 14 Nov 03

It'll be a USB modem which will just attach to your mum's computer so no need to worry about network cable.

You have to put microfilters on to every phone socket you have - two are usually supplied.

All you'll then have to do is run the installation software, plug the modem into your computer and phone line and bob's your uncle!

Ten minutes max.

Mad Mick 08:18 14 Nov 03

Go to bt.com and click on home then broadband for all the info you want. The BT Brodband package comes with all the necessary equipment to install broadband. The installation is straightforward. The CD that accompanies the equipment self runs and the installation of the software is easy, just folow the on screen instructions. One tip, do not connect the USB connection into the USB socket until prompted to do so by the on screen prompt. You will need a microfilter connected to each phone in the house, including any SKY connections.

anchor 09:32 14 Nov 03

The kit should come with the modem, and probably 2 micro filters. As has been said, you will need a filter for each phone socket. if you need more, they are easily obtainable.

First, install the software from the CD; do this before plugging in the modem. When you plug the modem in, the new hardware will be found, and the necessary drivers automatically installed. Follow the instructions given by BT for setting up the connections details.

No networking is involved for a single PC.

christmascracker 09:35 14 Nov 03

click here

This site will tell you all you need to know

TheTerminator 12:47 14 Nov 03

my mind has very much been put at rest with this news. it seem easy. shoul i have any problems, i will let you know. cheers again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…