ADSL modem problems.

Alexander P 07:27 12 Jun 03

Well, my new US Robotics ADSL modem just doesn't connect with the BT exchange. It lights up but nothing happens. My ISP (Claranet) say they've checked and there's nothing wrong with the ADSL activation of the line. They say take the modem back to PC World (hahahaha) and get them to check it does actually work, before Clara ask BT for a full check on my line. Should I do this? Do modems fail to connect like this? Should I just contact US Robotics for their advice first?

I have another related problem. Clara suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the modem software using the procedure supplied by the XP operating system. I've done this several times now, with
no improvement in the modem. But in the process I've lost or corrupted a file of some sort and I keep getting an error message. It doesn't relate directly to the modem drivers etc. I
can install/uninstall these successfully. It relates to the separate software than runs the modem's utility programmes that test the line, give answers to FAQs, tell you how to contact US
Robotics etc. This problem means I can neither fully uninstall the utility software that's already on my C drive. And I can't fully reinstall it either! The error message keeps popping up and says: "ADSL Utility. An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified."

One error message told me that the missing programme file was
defined as: C:\PROGRAM~1\INSTAL~1\{97FC6~1\setup.exe

What can I do?

graham√ 12:21 12 Jun 03

Can we take it you had a modem that did connect? Can you revert to that and do a system restore and see if it still works? If it does, at least the line is OK.

Alexander P 12:44 12 Jun 03

Th original slow speed dial up connection worked, though it had been rather slow in recent days. So I wouldn't rule out a problem at the BT exchange.

graham√ 13:29 12 Jun 03

Right, so it's a new broadband connection. Try Control Panel, Internet Properties, Connections, Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings. If your ADSL modem is not there, Add it.

MichelleC 13:34 12 Jun 03

Starting from scratch may help. Uninstall via add/remove. Then use search to find any hidden files, and delete. Reboot. Then install. Go to network and dial-up connections and r-click and look see what's there.

You can do a test to see if it's logged onto net via BT by login: [email protected]_domain (ignore password). This'll at least tell you if you're getting onto net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…