ADSL modem or router

hatrickj 21:19 28 Feb 04

Out of spousely pressure I am thinking of going broadband. Someone has suggested that having a router is better than a modem, Any views on pros and cons of each will be welcome. Are both internal and external versions avaailable? Any other points to keep in mind?

Gongoozler 21:49 28 Feb 04

Hi hatrickj, as I understand it, an ADSL router is for when you want more than one device to share your internet access click here. If your "spousely pressure" is in order to free up the telephone line, then I have just this week converted to Tiscali 150K, and so fdar can only give positive reports. My connection is consistantly over 140k, and at just £1 a month more than my old Freeserve Anytime dial-up I think it's good value.

Chegs ® 22:54 28 Feb 04

I would buy the ADSL modem/router combo,these can be bought for as little as £40,as I have a PCI modem presently,and its been a swine lately.I find I have to alter its VPI as the install app sets it to the wrong number,it steadfastly refuses to work in Linux,and even in windows,installing various apps(Nero's InCd)causes it to connect/disconnect every few minutes.I have just ordered an ADSL modem/router,and hope to have it by next week.

Dipso 23:55 28 Feb 04

I'm not that knowledgable on routers but modems can be internal or external.

I ordered a USB modem with my first ISP, mainly because a) I only have one PC connected at one time and b) I didn't want to start taking the PC apart to fit an internal modem.

Although fitting a PCI modem isn't difficult, (I realise now!) connecting a USB modem is very easy and there is no loss of speed using one. However, there are some issues with certain chipsets click here

A benefit of having a router is that it can act as a hardware firewall, which is something for you to consider.

Routers tend to be more expensive than USB modems but you can get a cheap one from Ebuyer that I have heard works perfectly well. PCI (internal) modems are even cheaper.

If you decide to go for a router, the Netgear DG834 (combined modem/router) is supposed to be very easy to set up.

HTH

spuds 01:23 29 Feb 04

If you decide on a modem/router check out ebuyer click here and key in Quickfind code 48449 for router @ £29.37. I would also suggest ebuyers micro filters Quickcode 39530 @ £1.17. I use them, and they work very well. Both items have plenty of good reviews, which are well worth reading.

Forum Editor 02:03 29 Feb 04

- particularly a wireless one - is the best way to share a broadband connection between several computers. Most of the popular models have their own inbuilt ADSL modem which will automatically make the broadband connection when it's booted. That means that you can use the connection on any of the computers, without having to have any of the others switched on. This is a big advantage - if you have a separate modem it will have to be connected to one of the computers, which means that machine must be running before you can use the connection on the others.

The only time you need to connect the router to a computer is at the beginning, to set it up and configure the broadband connection. Your username and password are downloaded to the modem's firmware, and that's it. Thereafter you can turn the router on and off at will, and it will look after itself. Most people turn them on in the morning and off again at night - it's not a good idea to let the router sit on the same IP address for very long periods if you're not using the connection.

Kinder Scout 02:22 29 Feb 04

Nice router click here Interesting info on filters posted on here earlier today. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…