ADSL modem 'connected' but can't go online.

Tonycooper3 09:27 15 Sep 04

Hi,

I've just perfromed a clean install of XP pro. USB modem installed and running - no probs in device manager.

Local area connection status window indicates I'm online, but I can't view any sites - i get the dns server not found error.

In tools\internet options\connections I don't have anything in the dial up and virtual private network settings panel, but in the LAN section below, I have Auto detect settings ticked and HTTP\\:10.0.0.2

I get the message a network connection is unplugged (even though I'm sure nothing is), when I save settigns after entering user name/password at the URL above (as instructed by ADSL blurb...

Any thoughts?

pj123 13:16 15 Sep 04

Who is your Broadband ISP?

Noleg24 15:48 15 Sep 04

what to do is input the DNS servers and IP address given to you by your ISP and that should sort the problem out. when you do get connected and you have opened up your browser try typing an IP address for a website for example 216.239.59.104 (click here) or 212.58.240.121 (click here) type one of these in the address bar and if they work then it means it is a DNS error and you need to input the DNS servers from your ISP. hope this helps.

Jak_1 15:52 15 Sep 04

Try deleting the conection and then re-setup the connection, this happened to me when I first setup my connection on a new pc with XP-Home. Second time of asking it set up and connected without a hitch. My Modem is an Alcatel USB Modem connecting to Wanadoo.

Noleg24 15:56 15 Sep 04

Also in the LAN settings the Auto detect should not be ticked as your not using an Ethernet modem but a USB modem and dont worry about the network connection unplugged thats only there cos you dont have an Ethernet connection to the modem. since its USB and the problem is DNS...like Jak_1 says delete and make a new connection but also inputting DNS servers may help but do this after making new connection if problem still persists.

Tonycooper3 17:58 16 Sep 04

Hi, I've tried deleting the connection and starting again - no joy. It IS a 'DNS error - server not found' problem, as I appear to be able to get to 10.0.0.2 to enter the user name/password details as per the blurb that came describing how to set up the modem (a conexant USB).

On the page for setting up internet connections, I'm pretty sure I want the option for it to connect via a VPN network (that's how it was before I got into this mess by upgrading from ME to XP). However, the one I set up says it connects via wan minport something - is that correct or should it say it connects via connexant or something?

ALso, I'm pretty sure I don't think I have to input any data before, apart from the 10.0.0.2.

When I'm setting up the connection page, what should the various 'settings' be er..set to? There are so many sub-sections I'm sure it is just something really small preventing it from working now

I'll take the tick out of the LAN auto settings box.

Tonycooper3 17:59 16 Sep 04

Hi, I've tried deleting the connection and starting again - no joy. It IS a 'DNS error - server not found' problem, as I appear to be able to get to 10.0.0.2 to enter the user name/password details as per the blurb that came describing how to set up the modem (a conexant USB).

On the page for setting up internet connections, I'm pretty sure I want the option for it to connect via a VPN network (that's how it was before I got into this mess by upgrading from ME to XP). However, the one I set up says it connects via wan minport something - is that correct or should it say it connects via connexant or something?

ALso, I'm pretty sure I don't think I have to input any data before, apart from the 10.0.0.2.

When I'm setting up the connection page, what should the various 'settings' be er..set to? There are so many sub-sections I'm sure it is just something really small preventing it from working now

I'll take the tick out of the LAN auto settings box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac