ADSL Microfilters & Tel. extension leads

Longsightboy 10:10 13 Mar 04

I need to move my PC to the other side of the room but I don't have a socket there to plug my ADSL microfilters and my phone in.

Can I use a 5 meter extension lead or, do I need special cable so as not to lose line quality?

Also, would a router (wireless) be better as I may want to share my connection with my other 2 PCs (I have network cards & cables from my LAN playing days)

Thanks in advance, Longsightboy

thisisnighthawk 10:41 13 Mar 04

use the extension lead, or of course get a new socket a few feet of wire and put a new box on the wall...........might save falling a/over/t.

Longsightboy 11:37 13 Mar 04

Can I put a new socket in the new location myself as I don't wanna pay BT any more than I have to!

I might just buy a 20 Metre RJ11 to RJ11 Cable lead, should work I think.

Indigo 1 11:42 13 Mar 04

A good site full of good references click here

rawprawn 11:43 13 Mar 04

You don't need to buy RJ11 cable, all you need is to buy an extention lesd long enough to reach where you want, they come with a connector at both ends. plug one end into your socket & plug a broadband filter into the other. Then connect yor BB Modem. I run my BB from a 15 meter extention from another room like that with no problems

rawprawn 11:45 13 Mar 04

PS. If you have a telephone sharing the socket you need a filter there as well.

thisisnighthawk 11:56 13 Mar 04

yes, no problem putting a new socket in, you can push the wires in with a small screwdriver, or get the proper tool for about 99p. B&Q sell the wire, you only use 3 of the strands..

rawprawn 12:21 13 Mar 04

B & Q sell the telephone extentions with a socket at each end, they are not expensive

David-235429 14:35 13 Mar 04

also see this thread click here

Longsightboy 15:28 13 Mar 04

Used my extension lead, problem solved!

Thanks to all respondents.

Longsightboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…