ADSL max

White_Elephant 10:56 19 Nov 06

Hi

recently got ADSL max via Zen. Had it for coming up to 10 ten days now, line has settled down a bit and is reading approx 3.6 mb speed download on the speed test but loading of pages and playing of videos isnt any better than my old 2 meg line and currently real download spped for files is 150 kbps, about a third of what it should be for the current line speed.

Have gone through the Zen support page for advice, tried modifying MTU and checked filter set up.
Any ideas?

anskyber 11:57 19 Nov 06

First of all you are unlikely to notice any difference with web page loading once you go above 2 megs, the load speed change will be imperceptable. You will be governed more by the strain on the site server than anything else.

The real benefit of max is the upload and download speeds, try this site click here (it might be busy) as a check, testers come up with all sorts of different answers for many reasons.

Can I assume your download speed is from experience of actually downloading as opposed to a speedtester? If it is then ring Zen or use their excellent speak to helpdesk facility where you can have a real time messaging exchange.

anskyber 11:59 19 Nov 06

Zen live support during weekdays click here

Dipso 19:16 19 Nov 06

Don't know whether you managed to contact Zen but I wonder if this is a profile issue i.e. it's possible that even though you sync at 3.6 Meg the BT kit still has your speeds limited to 2 Meg.

Try this test click here ( persevere as it's very busy_) which will show what your profile is currently and post your results here.

White_Elephant 20:23 19 Nov 06

Dipso - what do you mean bt BT kit exactly?

anskyber 21:00 19 Nov 06

Your local exchange would have an adjustment to allow for max but this should have been done on activation.
Remember its always advertised as "up to 8 meg" or whatever. It all depends on a number of interacting factors such as line length, contention and so on. Zen will help you on thses points.

Dipso 21:13 19 Nov 06

BT kit = the equipment at the exchange and the BT systems responsible for monitoring your connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac