adsl line test

Jak_1 17:32 12 Nov 07

I have been getting intermittent disconnections from orange. They think because of a weak adsl signal from the exchange to the house as a number of people are having the same problem. They are going to get the engineers to do a 24 hour line test. The question i: Should I stay off the internet during this time? I know that the livebox needs to be connected to the line but was wondering if surfing the net etc would cause problems with the line test.

Jak_1 20:53 12 Nov 07

bump

bluto1 21:09 12 Nov 07

I think the check will be made by BT engineers so I'd suggest getting in touch with BT.I haven't got a number for you to call but I'm sure someone else will be along to help.

Jak_1 21:15 12 Nov 07

Thanks.

Technotiger 21:39 12 Nov 07
  Jak_1 22:16 12 Nov 07

Thanks Technotiger but it is not me wanting to test my line speed but BT engineers testing the line as Orange think people in our area are getting a weak signal leading to intermittent dut offs for varying lengths of time.

Dipso 22:21 12 Nov 07

BT can do a test called a Whoosh Test which "looks at the quality of the line across the DSL frequency range and measures how much of the signal reaches your house.", but I didn't think it took 24 hours. In any case, all you are required to do is have your modem or router connected, using the connection shouldn't cause a problem, for this test anyway.

sinbads 22:25 12 Nov 07

Surfing tthe net will make no difference to the checks bt make regards your line problem. its Orange you'll need to contact regarding the outcome of bt investigations

woodchip 22:29 12 Nov 07

Just use your connection as normal

Jak_1 05:11 13 Nov 07

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos