Adsl line failure?

SB23 17:12 19 Jan 08

A neighbour of mine has been having connection problems for the past few weeks.
He told me last week that Aol were going to send him a new router as it was suggested that this was the problem, he then asked me to reinstall it all for him.
The installation goes well until it trys to check the line, it then comes up with "Adsl line failure".
He's spoken to BT, who say that the line is fine, and Aol just tell him to do what I've already done, and that its all ok their end.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

Thanks

Steve

MAJ 17:17 19 Jan 08

It could be a problem with the BT socket in his house. Go to the master socket and take the small front plate off. Behind it you should find a test socket, plug the router into that and try again. Is his phone working alright, is he getting a dial tone? Also check the filters.

SB23 17:20 19 Jan 08

The home phone is fine, and the filters came with the new router.

MAJ 17:29 19 Jan 08

Try the test socket then, SB23.

Bobby 20:06 19 Jan 08

It is quite common for even brand new filters to be faulty - try swapping them.

SB23 20:25 19 Jan 08

My neighbour has spoken to Aol, well, I did because she was hard to understand, but basically the connection was / is showing as offline.
She took me through the router settings and said that if I continued to install the router all their problems would be solved, not!.
It is still coming up with Adsl line failure.

Needless to say, he's going to ring again tomorrow, but, between you and me, I'm pleased that its nothing I've done wrong.

ambra4 22:25 19 Jan 08

Did you set up the lan card to access the router and the Internet

click here

Power off the router and power back on after you check the setting in the computer is correct just follow the instruction as listed in the posting

SB23 13:32 20 Jan 08

Thanks for the info, but the problem is the fact that 3/4 through the installation, and after the installation has checked the connections itself, and says all ok, the next step fails due to "Adsl line failure". Up until that point it is all ok.
What I don't understand is that BT say the line is fine, and Aol say that my neighbours connection is showing as offline, and the DSL led is flashing on the router, and it shouldn't be.

If I had more hair, I'd be pulling it out now, lol!

Steve

SB23 20:54 24 Jan 08

Believe it or not the problem is sorted.

After speaking to a very nice Indian lady, I was able to re-configure the router yesterday, (Tues 23rd), on behalf of my neighbour who didn't want to speak to her, for fear of not being able to understand her.
Her instructions enabled me to retry the router installation, which this time completed, and after a few other adjustments my neighbours were back online quickly afterwards.

Thanks to all who replied, and a thankyou to the Aol call center.

Steve

SB23 20:56 24 Jan 08

Should have been Wednesday, not Tuesday.

What does my wife put in my coffee? lol!

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…