ADSL Line Dropping

gcook 16:42 21 Nov 07

Im looking for some advice on my ADSL please. My line seems to drop completely every so often and my modem then automatically reconnects a few seconds later.

I have a 2MB ADSL connection with Nildram. Line attenuation of 14dB. Noise margin is 28dB. Modem is an internal Conexant Accessrunner PCI type.

When my line drops I get the following messages from the modem control panel, "Training, Channel Analysis, trying to activate line, exchange" When this is done the line reconnects.

I have contacted Nildram support who have checked the line and are keen to blame the modem or BT. Are they right?

Could this be my line, modem, or ISP problem? Any ideas? Any more info required then just ask. Thanks in advance.

irishrapter 18:28 21 Nov 07

I have been with Nildram for about four years and have yet to have any trouble with their service.

I would suggest that you get a good ADSL router and get rid of the PCI card.
Also, check your phone wiring around the house, make sure that its well filtered and installed correctly.

gcook 22:29 21 Nov 07

Thanks for the advice irishrapter.

I take it your not a fan of the PCI card, can I ask whats wrong with it in your opinion?

I have chacked the wiring and changed the microfilter but to no avail Like you, I have been with Nildram for many years with no problem whatsoever until about 2 weeks ago.

Will try a different modem/router next to rule out my setup. Any advice? Only have 1 PC so not bothered about a router.

Thanks

gcook 22:38 21 Nov 07

I can get a Thomson SpeedTouch 330SL USB Modem from Nildram for £29.99.

Are they any good would you say?

irishrapter 06:34 22 Nov 07

I'm not a big fan of USB routers, I would get an Ethernet one.

click here for some routers, I use a netgear DG834G which is £46.99. Would also suggest Linksys and D-link.

There is a "Billion BiPAC 5200 ADSL2+ Modem/Router" £29.36 click here= but I don't have any info if its any good.

gcook 11:26 23 Nov 07

Thanks again,

I phoned Nildram sales and asked for a netgear DG834G. Was quoted £74 to start with but finally got it for half price after explaining Ive been a customer for 6 years. So less than £38 for the router.

Hopefully that will solve the problem! Thanks irishraptor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…