adsl with laptop help

adonl 22:57 22 Jun 07

Normally I'm quite good at solving my own, minor technical problems, however...I need major help here!

I use an ADSL modem which has two sockets. (SAGEM 800 USB ADSL MODEM)The first is a USB link to my PC, the second is a ADSL link to an ADSL filter which is attached to my phone line.

I decided to replace my laptop with a new one. This one has Windows Vista Home Basic (I'm very used to using Windows XP Home Edition!!) and has something called "Wireless lan b/g" (but I have no clue what this is, it has no network card so I assumed I had to buy my own wireless thing for it).

I also purchased a wireless router (D-Link DSL-G624T). When I plug this USB thing that I got from that into my laptop, I can pick up the signal from the router but I can't connect to the internet through it even when I plug the ADSL cable from my phone line into the back of the router.

I've tried to use the LAN sockets to connect my router to my PC using an ethernet cable, however, my only ethernet socket on my PC doesn't seem to work. Surely there is a way to connect to the internet with a wireless with just a laptop, a router and a modem?

My broadband provider supports wireless internet: click here;p_topview=1

Any help is appreciated.

Ashrich 23:37 22 Jun 07

Ok , first thing is that if it has wireless Lan b/g , then it has wireless built in already , no need for an adapter , secondly , have you been through the set up routine for the router ? usually by opening your browser and typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar at the top , and pressing " enter " you can then access the necessary pages to enter your ISP's details , your user name and password and actually connect the router to the internet , not forgetting to use either WEP or WPA security to stop others accessing your router and possibly your PC . There will either be a button ( hardware switch ) or a keystroke combination , to turn on the built in wireless , read the handbook / manual .

Ashley

ambra4 03:20 28 Jun 07

Wireless Internet ia a difference system to ADSL the signal is sent wireless to your wireless card in the PC from Your ISP

ADSL signal is sent via the phone line which is hook up to a router which in turn is connected to your LAN card via the Ethernet cable on the Dlink router

Have you setup your network adapter on the laptop

Click “Start”, “Settings”, then “Control Panel”.

2. Double-click on the “Network and dial-up connections
“Network” icon (Windows XP).

3. Right-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your
network adapter and select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

4. In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window, click “Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP)” and click the “Properties” button

5. Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

6 Obtain DNS server address automatically”

7 Click “OK”.

Your network adapter is now configured for use with the Router

Recommended Web Browser Settings

In most cases, you will not need to make any changes to your web
browser settings.

But if you was using dialup check your browser setting.

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

1. Start your web browser. Select “Tools” then “Internet Options”.

2. In the “Internet Options” screen, there are three selections:
“Never dial a connection”, “Dial whenever a network connection
is not present”, and “Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”. If you
cannot make a selection, go to the next step.

3. Under the “Internet Options” screen, click on “Connections” and
select “LAN Settings…”.

4. Make sure there are no check marks next to any of the displayed
options: “Automatically detect settings”, “Use automatic
configuration script”, and “Use a proxy server”.

5 Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

ambra4 03:28 28 Jun 07

You will now have to read the manual to access the router and setup the internet setting and local wireless setting

Inside the house to the router should get about 300 ft from the router to a laptop

It is strongly recommended that you use a computer physically connected to the Router with an RJ45 cable for initial setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for initial setup is not recommended or to access setup at any time.

Can cause major corruption to firmware on the router and great pain

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos