Adsl / Isdn

Maryp 17:06 30 Oct 04

Can someone please tell me whats the difference? Is it either Isdn or analogue line, and then the ADSL is the internet connection bit, or am I totaly wrong?

sicknote 17:28 30 Oct 04
  Graham ® 18:05 30 Oct 04

Analogue line is a normal telephone line, which you can use to access the internet at speeds up to 56kbs using a dialup modem.

ISDN is a digital dialup service which has two channels of 64kbs, which if used together would give 128kbs. This would involve two call charges, though.

ADSL is a digital 'broadband' line with speeds from 256kbs up.

Gongoozler 18:08 30 Oct 04

ISDN looked like a useful solution at one time click here, but adsl is MUCH better click here

Graham ® 19:36 30 Oct 04

In case it is not clear, you start with a 'normal' line. Then you can 'upgrade' to a digital line, either ISDN or ADSL.

Note that you cannot upgrade from ISDN to ADSL, you have to pay to have the line converted back to analogue first.

Maryp 08:26 31 Oct 04

Thank you Graham, thats kind of what I thought it might be, but no where actualy made it as clear as that. Like lots of pc related things, its not nearly as complicated as it first appears.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:22 31 Oct 04

Until February this year I was using BT Midband ISDN service. My local exchange was then, in February, ADSL enabled. Although you are right that the line must be returned to a standard PSTN analogue line before the upgrade to ADSL, the ADSL installation was still free as I stayed with BT for my broadband service. In-spite of the extra complication I was using BT 1Mbps service within 1/2 hour of the engineer turning up. There is however no point in using ISDN at home unless you cannot get some form of broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…