ADSL II and belkin Wireless PCI Adapter

Giggle n' Bits 16:16 23 Aug 08

& also a Belkin USB Adapter. Since change to O2 Broadband my main machine is fine connected to router via LAN.

I understand that O2 BB is ADSL II and the other 2 machines use a both PCI Adapter and another on a USB adapter but are these compatible with ADSL II ?

Reason I ask is often get disconnections from both wirless connections, one machine which is literally 2 metres away from my wirless router the O2 second one they have supplied me. Shurley distance or interference isn't the cause this near. The other machine downstairs.

Is their any dedicated ADSL II wirless adapter which I should use or is my belkins possibly about 2 years old (USB 1 Aquired second hand) PCI card was new about 6months ago)

any suggestions welcome.

mgmcc 19:58 23 Aug 08

Wireless Network Adapters communicate with a Wireless Router using 802.11g (or similar) wireless networking protocol. This has nothing to do with ADSL, which is the technology by which the ADSL Modem transfers the broadband service over the phone line.

If you are experiencing dropped wireless connections, there are a couple of things you can try:

1) In the router's wireless settings, change the Channel number used for the radio transmission. This might overcome interference problems, which cause connections to drop.

2) In the Wireless Network Adapter's TCP/IP Properties, give it a fixed IP address. This eliminates the problem of the adapter failing to regain its IP address if the connection is lost briefly.

Giggle n' Bits 20:55 23 Aug 08

How do I give the Belkin Wirless software the fixed IP Adress, is it a box I tick ? or do I have to type an IP Address in manually? which is my IP Address. All I know about this is its Dynamic and not static.

Thanks for the help as its been drving me nuts for about 4 months now.

mgmcc 21:41 23 Aug 08

<<<How do I give the Belkin Wireless software the fixed IP Address>>>

It is the "Wireless Network Connection" to which you give a fixed IP address.

Open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run" type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the next window that opens, click the button for "Use the following IP address". Type in:

IP address - 192.168.x.7 (where "x" matches the third number in your router's IP address)

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.x.1 (the router's IP address)

DNS Server - 192.168.x.1 (the router's IP address)

This assumes that your router has a "192.168" address with "1" as its final number. If you don't know your router's IP address then, with a PC that can connect to it (by ethernet cable?), open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC. Look for the address of the Default Gateway and that's your router's IP address.

Giggle n' Bits 22:08 23 Aug 08

Will print it off and try it out sunday. Wireless & Networks never been my thing.

Giggle n' Bits 22:10 23 Aug 08

Would also like to know how to clear a DNS for a router and why/what is DNS ? Dynamic number service is my guess but just a guess. I heards someone mention clearing it and its got me curiuos.

mgmcc 00:02 24 Aug 08

DNS = Domain Name System. The function of a DNS server is to translate the alphabetical addresses you use into their IP addresses. For example, when you type:

h t t p :// w w w . google.co.uk

the DNS Server will resolve this to:

h t t p :// 216.239.59.104

(Spaces inserted to avoid forum software changing addresses to "click here".) You can enter a site's IP address directly into the address bar of your web browser.

Your router may have a facility for clearing a cache of DNS data, but I don't know. You can do it in a PC by running the command:

ipconfig /flushdns

Giggle n' Bits 13:54 24 Aug 08

Very knowledgable, will cut and paste for my notes. Thank u.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…