adsl help

Pau! J 19:57 20 Jul 03

Which is the best adsl modem to buy, is an internal or external better. If internal which is better a hardware card, software based on or one with a context chipset ( i think thats what u caall it).

P.s. can i use a pentium 3 psu with an athlon xp thanks.

davidg_richmond 20:03 20 Jul 03

I would suggest an external one, that uses Ethernet (you may have to buy an ethernet card for your PC, about £10 at the most). This is because if you decide to go wireless in future with a laptop or second PC, it is much easier to set up with ethernet than USB. I frequently get people wanting to go wireless but the USB modem they have is an obstacle requiring spending more on wireless gear or a new modem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:12 21 Jul 03

I have 2 external ADSL modems, a 'zoom' modem and a sagem and I cannot tell the difference. PCW are flogging an external modem (forgotten the name) for £29.99. Personally I think they are much of a muchness.

G

Somewhere95 01:21 21 Jul 03

would always be external with RJ45 connections (NEVER USB). Preferably a D-Link ADSL modem/router. Might be few quid more, but you get built in future proofing, plus built-in protection with NAT

Djohn 02:05 21 Jul 03

Yes to the second part of your question. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…