//some 3rd party need geo

Adsl Filter query

Totally-braindead 15:40 02 Apr 04

I just had to buy another ADSL filter, the problem with it was if you connected a phone to it it wouldn't ring although it worked perfectly on the computer, the phone would dial out etc it just wouldn't ring. Looking at the 2 different filters, the one I just bought and the one I already have the only difference that can be seen is that the one which doesn't work has an extra pin. I tried breaking off the pin to see if that made a difference ( after speaking to the company I bought it from first who suggested this and who were also mystified ), and it made no difference whatso ever. I've checked and doubled checked all the connections, tried different phone, unplugging everything etc to no avail.
The company refunded the money after I even tried another filter which did exactly the same.
So either both filters are faulty which is possible but unlikely OR there are differnet types of ADSL filter and the company got the wrong ones.
Is their anyone out there who can tell me if this is the case. Are their different types of ADSL filters and if so how do you know which ones to buy?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:48 02 Apr 04

Is this on an extension socket to the main phone line? if so you may need to connect another wire inside the socket to enable ring,think its orange/white but dont quote me on that.If its the main phone socket try taking cover off then plugging filter direct to the connection under it that bypasses the in home setup and if the phone rings then u know its a problem your end not the filter.

Regards.

Totally-braindead 15:52 02 Apr 04

Nice thought but it isn't that, the original filter works fine, its the replacement filters that don't. So back to my original query are there different types of ADSL filters or is the company in receipt of a bad batch. If there are different types of filters how do you tell which one you need ( without going to your original supplier of course).

TomJerry 17:07 02 Apr 04

Get another one to try £1.17 in ebuyer click here Not worth to try to solve "unslovable" problem.

Graham ® 18:09 02 Apr 04

The filter should have its own ring capacitor. click here

Graham ® 18:11 02 Apr 04

Sorry, still had a 'copy' left in the mouse. Good job it wasn't a naughty site! Try click here

Totally-braindead 19:41 02 Apr 04

Thanks guys. Graham that kind of rests my case, there are differences, quite significant ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…