Adsl connection high ping

dave_the_red 10:08 12 Oct 04

I have a 512k adsl connection and am experiencing a ping of about 200 when playing online games. Sometimes when I boot up I get a message saying something like, "other devices are occupying the usb bandwidth, click ok to allow your modem to adjust the available bandwidth" When I click ok it takes about a minute to sort itself out. I think this is the famous AMD processor and usb modem problem. But I was wondering if this could affect my ping, as it used to be fine before I started getting this error message.

I first started getting this message when I installed a new graphics card, could this be the problem.

Thanks

Dave

dave_the_red 10:52 12 Oct 04

Bump

Trolley 12:39 12 Oct 04

There is a virus that causes a lot of ping traffic to random websites.

I had it, and after running a fully up-to-date virus scan the virus was detected, removed and bandwidth came back to normal.

Maybe this will work.

dave_the_red 12:47 12 Oct 04

Thanks trolley, I did a full scan yesterday using norton antivirus but just to be sure I will do another using an online scanner tonight.

I have also used ad-aware and spybot to get rid of any spyware.

PsiFox 12:51 12 Oct 04

What about pings to non gaming servers?

I doubt it is your graphics card.

With regard to the USB Bandwidth message, have you tried unplugging the other usb devices before you boot and then connecting to a games server. If so does it alleviate the problem.

Try running "tracert" to see if you have a problem at one of the server hops.

PsiFox

dave_the_red 13:36 12 Oct 04

I have only got a printer connected by USB but I will disconnect that and see what happens.

Psifox, my ping to non gaming servers seems to be slightly better, but I will run some proper tests tonight and see what that shows. Usually on games servers my ping is about 200, and on non gaming servers it is about 125. They are only rough figures from a couple of tests.

I used this website for the ping test.

Thanks for your input and I will let you know how the trace and ping tests go tonight when I get home from work.

Dave

dave_the_red 19:49 12 Oct 04

The ping at each server hop is averaging 170.
I have unplugged my printer and seems to have solved the bandwidth problem.

Any other ideas on the ping

dave_the_red 09:28 13 Oct 04

I managed to lower the ping. I used a program called tweakmaster, it took some trial and error but eventually it sorted my problem.

My download speeds are now slightly lower, but I am getting an average ping of around 35 now. Which is what I needed as I play online games a lot.

Thanks for your input Psifox and Trolley.

Dave

PsiFox 11:03 13 Oct 04

Glad you got it sorted.

What do you play on line?

If you like Desert Combat or BFV I am an admin for a couple of servers. We have a Teamspeak setup too.

Take a look at our dedicated site

click here

PsiFox

dave_the_red 11:56 13 Oct 04

I am thinking of getting BFV but have never got round to it. I am a member of an Enemy Territory clan and play that more than anything. Will have a look at your site tonight anyway. Thanks for the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…