ADSL & Cable contention ratio

CurlyWhirly 19:56 11 Sep 04

In a recent thread VoG mentioned that he had a 3 Mb Blue Yonder Cable connection and there is no contention ratio so you can 'fly' irrespective of what other users are doing.
If this is the case as regards cable having NO contention ratio then how can the cable companies manage this where as with ADSL this is not possible as I am led to believe that MOST users are on a 50:1 ratio?
Only Businesses have a ratio of 20:1 and therefore pay extra for the privilege.

Also as more people upgrade to broadband what can BT do to stop contention ratio being a problem as if for example everyone was on broadband would this slow down the network to near dial-up speeds or is it possible for BT to invest in increasing the capacity at ADSL exchanges?

JayDay 20:00 11 Sep 04

As far as I am aware cable connections still have a contention ratio (although lower than ADSL). Maybe VoG has a special connection.

CurlyWhirly 20:11 11 Sep 04

Thanks. The thread I am referring to is at click here and it is the 11th entry down.

I have been on the BlueYonder website and a 3mb speed service costs £50 a month and as much as I love broadband I would NEVER pay that but if I could get Cable I would go for the 1.5 mb service at £35 a month as this seems reasonable!

JayDay 20:18 11 Sep 04

click here This indicates the 3mb service has a 20:1 contention.

Hope this helps.

CurlyWhirly 20:32 11 Sep 04

Cheers. It is unusual for VoG to be wrong as in 99% of cases he is right!
Yes it does indeed seem that he is on a 20:1 ratio but still LOADS better than 50:1 which I am on now on ADSL.

dagwoood 21:49 11 Sep 04

I have to disagree with JayDay(sorry :0( ), but if you have cable broadband the contention ratio is 1:1. You do not share your BB connection with any other users, as is the case with ADSL, and it's Blueyonder policy that the speed you pay for is the speed you get.

Have a look at this article. Go down to the heading "OK - I want Broadband - do I go for Cable or ADSL?" and read the fifth paragraph under this heading.

click here

Thanks should go to VoG for the above link :0)

Hope this clarifys the matter, dagwoood.
(Very happy Blueyonder customer!!!).

VoG II 21:59 11 Sep 04

Yes the contention ratio on blueyonder broadband is 1:1. In other words it is not an issue. Remember that a cable connection is completely different from ADSL.

I check my connection speed from time to time and it is always just above 3 Mb/s irrespective of time of day, day of the week and so on.

"It is unusual for VoG to be wrong as in 99% of cases he is right!" - this statement is an exaggeration but in this case I am sure that I am correct.

JayDay 09:20 12 Sep 04

No problems. I am an ADSL user with no experience of cable. My comments were as a result of reading that article.

VoG - That puts you back up to 100% :-)

CurlyWhirly 10:43 12 Sep 04

I should never have doubted you mate - sorry.
Like JayDay said I also thought it had a 20:1 contention ratio as that's what it said on the website.
I will say you REALLY seem to know about computer issues and solving problems.

CurlyWhirly 10:45 12 Sep 04

Thanks for the link by the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…