adsl broadband cable needed?

imzy 19:45 20 Jun 05

Hi All.

A friend of mine has signed up for AOL broadband through his phone socket as he does not have cable in his area. I will need to run a long extension cord from his bedroom to the phone socket downstairs.
I went to PC World to get an extension cable but could not find a 20Metere cable. I asked the assistant and he said you could use a normal telephone extesion wire instead of an actual boradband cable. Is this correct? If it is, does it affect the performance of using broadband?

Any help grealty appreciated.

Thanks

DieSse 19:53 20 Jun 05

You will need a good quality extension cable - poor quality ones can degrade the signal enough to make it unuseable, at times.

I recommend you to look at lightweight twin core cable (not the cheapo flat stuff that is sometimes sold for phone extensions) - and hardwire it into the originating socket (not via a normal plug) - and to a proper extension socket - then you can use a normal short cable from the modem to the extension socket.

I've done it that way on much longer runs, and never had a problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 20 Jun 05

Agree with DieSse

Good quality cable, hardwired to master socket, filter in extension socket to modem cable.

imzy 21:00 20 Jun 05

Thanks guys.

Good advice. Will try it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…