ADSL being used by an outside source!

Col 19:26 20 Nov 06

Hi All, I have a big problem.

My PC is downloading all the time my ADSL is connected even when I am not using the internet. The up/download amount is similar. It’s as if someone is using my PC to relay stuff..
I got an email from my ISP saying that I was using way over my quota, my normal use is 20/30MB a day the last 2 days my usage shows almost 3GB.
I have AntiVir, Ad-aware SE and Spybot they can’t find anything. Help Please. Col

Woolwell 19:28 20 Nov 06

Do you have a firewall?

jimv7 19:29 20 Nov 06

Download A2 free from click here

you have to register online, update and run it.

skidzy 19:30 20 Nov 06

Do you use a wireless connection by any chance ie: Router ?

If so make sure you have Security enabled.

Col 19:42 20 Nov 06

Thanks guys, will try your methods.I use XP Home SP 2 fully updated Windows firewall Security guard enabled.
I have found 600 java.jar executable files is that normal??
Thanks Col

Col 19:46 20 Nov 06

Hi skidzy no wireless Speedtouch direcd wired. cheers

Woolwell 19:52 20 Nov 06

Suggest that you install a better firewall than the one that comes with Windows. Several are regularly recommended on this forum.

skidzy 20:38 20 Nov 06

With you being on broadband there is no way anything can dial out unless you have given permission to do so.
Run this to check for any other connections that should not be there click here

If you have an old dialup connection still plugged in,unplug this.

It may have been possible that someone has installed some software and installed a Trojan Dialer unknowingly.
Try this (Trojanhunter) click here and Superantispy click here

And also make sure you have a good Firewall such as
Zonealarm Free click here

Sygate click here

To mention a couple of the popular ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…