ADSL

Bald Eagle 15:51 18 May 08

I'm getting more and more confused! I have a DLink DSL-320T which worked via an ethernet cable on my laptop running XP. However, it won't work with Vista on a desktop even though I've used their two "workarounds ". Consequently I'm looking for a modem that is Vista compatible but can't seem to make head nor tail of all the technobabble! Can someone recommend one? I've perused the previous posts on here and I've read that if I get a modem/router there will not be any compatability problems at all because there is no software involved. Is this true? Any recommendations for a modem router? I'm not a gamer so don't need anything mega quick.
BE

ambra4 16:20 18 May 08

“However, it won't work with Vista on a desktop”

Upgrade the firmware to a newer version that adds Windows Vista support.

click here==

Bald Eagle 17:12 18 May 08

ambra4, only problem is that the download doesn't work! I've been on DLink forums and they say that the patch is a bit hit or miss. Looks like I've got the miss! I don't understand the theory behind the download but it reads as if it's cobbled together.
BE

ambra4 19:22 18 May 08

How are you trying to install the firmware?

Download the file save to desktop

Access the modem – Click Tools Top of Display page

On right hand side click firmware button – browse to the firmware file on the desktop and

Apply

Bald Eagle 19:28 18 May 08

The download is a zipped file and my computer says it doesn't recognise the file type. I have 7-zip file manager.
BE

ambra4 19:53 18 May 08

Try download again as zip file could be corrupted no problem to unzip file here using winzip

Bald Eagle 20:08 18 May 08

ambra4 have redownloaded the file, will leave now until tomorrow. Too much red wine consumed at the moment! Many thanks for your patience and help.
BE

Bald Eagle 20:30 19 May 08

Unzipped the file to desktop, accessed the modem and followed your instructions. Got "Firmware failure" Rebooting. Tried several times including redownloading the zip file, no good. I think the D-Link forum must be right.

Anyone any suggestions for another modem that works with Vista?

BE

Technotiger 20:36 19 May 08

If using BT Broadband, the BT HomeHub works great with Vista.

Bald Eagle 21:15 19 May 08

I'm with Orange France.
BE

woodchip 21:26 19 May 08

As you said a Modem/Router is the best way to go.
click here
Make sure you get the correct one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now