ads IN pages, ??CAN I get rid of them??

end 09:18 10 Apr 04

I am running here win 98 2nd ed, adaware ( free version) and Guard IE; my btopenworld e mail acount has ben "upgraded" to the Yahoo! thing, presenting me with ads IN pages I jsut do not want and find very agravating to say the least. I am thinking of upgrading my Guard IE to the newer Guard wall, and having the more "active" bit of adaware. I get the same and MORE annoyance on my other Yahoo! e mail address (which I seldom opn but is just " there" if I want it). ARE these ads something that " come with Yahoo", or is there something I can do to eliminate these things???(apart from not opening my e mail account, which is NOT very helpful!!).Gurd IE does stop everything else, but these horrid things are not within its remit semingly. any ideas, folks???
guard IE IS stopping a LOT of stuff, judging by the "dings" I am getting telling me things have been blocked....but now wonder if I have to "go one step elsewhere" to increase effectiveness of what I have here.......
???CAN one "eliminate" ads IN pages ,WITHOUT having a nasty effect on the page being viewed or...........

end 12:45 10 Apr 04

anyone got any ideas on this????

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:50 10 Apr 04

You mean the flash ads? that are shown in some pages or pages that open up under the page you are viewing.

Regards.

end 13:17 10 Apr 04

no...I mean the ads that SEEM to be a part OF the page ITSELF..you try going to the Yahoo site and see the ads they put on the page...for credit cards amongst other things; my Guard IE stops the pop ups and unders but NOT, as far as I can find at present, the ads IN the pages; I know Guard IE is going to Guard wall and may "take that on" and get rid of my Guard IE as iT si apparently not being "developed further" so has no updates for i.e. ???DOES adaware STOP the ads iN pages, or dos ANY programme that anyone knows???? the problem is that if I configure Guard IE TOO "closely" it will not then allow the page to open at all!!!! am just wonering IF there IS a solution TO this. I had no choise WITH the bt address BUT to chnge TO th Yahoo thing; it is nOT my "main " address, but ....these annoying things on pages that I do not want; jut want to get and read my messages without being faced withh all these ads I do not want.!!!!!
???does that "clarify" for you????

VoG II 13:21 10 Apr 04

If you mean ads that are hosted by servers then you can use a HOSTS file to stop them appearing click here

end 13:35 10 Apr 04

I presume they WOULD BE " hosted by the server"...but why can adaware not be configured to eliminate them??/or CAN it with the "subscribed" version; I have adaware on here; to save having yet MORE " programs " here, IS THAT configurable tO stop more stuff for me????if I get the "subscription" version????...I just find them so annoying AND intrusive......I want f to read my messages nOT th ads that go WITH it.....have just though....I wonder if contacting the BTyahoo people might give me some joy....or is that a "crazy idea"?????

end 13:43 10 Apr 04

AM just wondering whether it WOULD BE prudent TO get the "subscribed" version OF adaware, as presumably IT can then "run" the adwatch "live" , same as Norton antivirus, and "keep watch" in the background.....unless I have misunderstood the " workings OF adaware "active bit"".....????is that a good suggestion to myself or....??? would that "help" towards my problem and save me having yet another programe on here????

VoG II 13:47 10 Apr 04

If you bothered to read my "click here you would see that you do not need another program - just a HOSTS file.

end 14:01 10 Apr 04

sorry. VoG, didnt mean to offend ; Ill have to print off the info and read it(hav already got sevral pages off );;???is there a particular bit that I should look at???as you are saying that it is a "hosts FILE" ( presumably a " directory of addresses???)...

Gaz 25 15:45 10 Apr 04

adaware is only a spyware remover not a preventer...

A hosts file blocks any websites that are in the list.

Gaz 25 15:46 10 Apr 04

thus blocking advert servers such as bfast.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…