Adobe Readers

Mollo 14:31 11 Dec 03

I am currently up to Adobe Reader 6.0. Is it safe to delete earlier versions without affecting the latest update? I have also recently updated my Windows and when I looked in my windows file I noticed a considerable number of files beginning with "ffe0437b" followed by more numbers file size 0kb TMP. Do these need to be there or are they candidates for deletion?

minter 15:17 11 Dec 03

All previous versions of Adobe Reader should have been uninstalled before installing v6.0.

Adobe usually inform you to uninstall any previous versions.

Sorry, can't help with the Windows problems.

The only thing is, anything ending with .tmp will be a temporary file, but what they belong to couldn't say.

If you are on XP then there is a Disc Clean program which you can use and it keeps the deleted stuff till you are sure everything is ok.

Alternatively, you can delete the items and use System Restore is it goes pear shaped.

alcudia 15:18 11 Dec 03

The files are generated by Microsoft Findfast. You must have Hide hidden system files turned off or you wouldn't see them. I have deleted them in the past without any problems, but they will come back again. So many per day.

As for the Readers, really the older versions should have been uninstalled before putting on the newer ones. I suppose you could remove them all, and then re-install v6.

Wak 16:00 11 Dec 03

Hi Mollo, Seeing that you've raised the subject of Adobe Reader, I would like to add a bit of info which could be of interest to others.
Some Websites which let you download a PDF file (to be read by Adobe later) were written in the days of Adobe 4.0 or earlier. These early PDF files then looked for a file called Acroread.exe which is part of Adobe 4.0.
If you only have Adobe 5.0 or later, these early PDF files cannot be read by Adobe 5.0 as it now looks for a file called AcroRd32.exe.
The trick now is to copy the newer file (AcroRd32.exe) into another folder, re-name it as Acroread.exe and then copy it back into the original Adobe folder.
You will then have two .exe files in the same folder, one is AcroRd32.exe and the other is Acroread.exe, and Adobe 5.0 or later will then be able to read any PDF file you may download as it only looks for the file it needs and disregards the other one.
Regarding the TMP files, In Win 98SE I usually find that you can delete any TMP file unless it has todays date on it.

Pesala 21:41 11 Dec 03

Wak, will it work if one creates a shortcut from AcroRd32.exe and renames the shortcut to Acroread.exe? Reader 6 is now over 7 Mbytes, while a shortcut is just 480 bytes

Gongoozler 22:05 11 Dec 03

If you have FindFast running, the best thing you can do is to disable it, and also disable Microsoft Office Startup (OSA). They are a waste of space that eat up your system resources and do little useful in return. I also disable the Microsoft Office toolbar. Any Office applications I need to access frequently I put in the Quick Launch bar alongside the Start button (in my Windows 98se system).

VoG II 22:19 11 Dec 03

I agree completely - very sound advice.

Wak 12:28 12 Dec 03

The EXE file in Adobe 5.0 (which I use) is only 3.7KB which doesn't bother me at all as I have ample spare space.
The older PDF files look for the required file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader so I assume you would have to put the short-cut in there somehow.
Worth thinking about!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…