ADOBE READER - What is it?

I come across Adobe Reader from time to time and am puzzled by it. It appears to be something very important. PDF files are usually mentioned and these also appear to be important.
Can someone briefly explain what it is all about?

mattyc_92 16:56 03 Feb 05

"Adobe Acrobat Reader" (sometimes known as "Adobe Reader") is just a program that allows you to open PDF files... If you have a "brought" version, then you can also MAKE them... Although there are plenty of FREE utilities out there to create "PDF" files...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 03 Feb 05

used to read PDF files

Adobe invented the portable document file which alot of people now use for instruction manuals on CD etc. You need their reader to open this type of file

VoG II 16:58 03 Feb 05

Adobe reader is for opening documents written in Portable Document Format. Many documents downloadable from the internet are in PDF format. Adobe Reader allows you to view these files in your browser window.

It is a free download click here

VoG II 17:04 03 Feb 05

More info click here

Many thanks for your comments.

What is it about PDF files that that makes them so good? Is there a company other than Adobe that writes similar programs?

mattyc_92 16:21 05 Feb 05

Yes... The good thing about PDF files is that you can't modify them in any way and they can be compressed (and can be very cheap to make)

Jackcoms 16:26 05 Feb 05

There is nothing particularly 'good' or 'bad' about PDF files but you will find them in a wide range of websites.

For example, my electricity and gas provider is Powergen and I use their online billing service. My bills are produced in PDF format. So, without Adobe Reader, I wouldn't be able to access my power bills.

My eldest daughter is currently applying for University courses and a lot of Universities produce their online prospectuses in PDF.

That's just a couple of examples of where PDF is used. There are many more.

Clint2 16:32 05 Feb 05

You can write PDF files with Serif PagePlus9&10

palinka 19:26 05 Feb 05

and you need Adobe to read things like booklets from Inland revenue and other Government departments (if you ever feel the need to read such things!)It's quicker and easier than phoning the dept in question and asking for the booklet to be sent to you.
The best feature of the Adobe system is that what you open on screen looks exactly like the printed copy.

ExPara 20:17 06 Feb 05

Can I butt in? What is the difference between "Adobe Acrobat Reader" and "Adobe Reader"? I have just installed "Adobe Reader" in place of "Adobe Acrobat Reader and find that it takes a lot longer to load up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…