Adobe Reader Patch - Scam or Real?

thegreypanther 13 Mar 13

I have just received an email which reads as follows;-

"Hi

Most of us use Adobe Reader on our computers.

Adobe have just released an emergency security update to patch zero-day vunerabilitiesin its Adobe Reader & Acrobat X1 software for Windows, Mac & Linux systems.

The flaw is already (quote latest Computeractive Magazine Issue 392)by criminals which causes computers to crash and enables them to take over your PC.

The up-date patch can be found at www.snipca.com/8508

Kind regards Terry"

I am 99% certain that this is a scam, and that "Terry" has had his email hijacked.

Could someone please confirm, and if this is a scam then others need to be warned.

Nontek 13 Mar 13

I have not had that mail, but yes, I would say it is no doubt a Scam ... delete it!

Nontek 13 Mar 13

A quick Google confirms that there are many such scams doing the rounds, and have been doing so for some time.

wiz-king 13 Mar 13

An Adobe patches should come from Adobe, not from some other website.

wiz-king 13 Mar 13

An Adobe patches should come from Adobe, not from some other website.

lotvic 13 Mar 13

Computeractive.co.uk use snipca.com as a 'tiny url' the url www.snipca.com/8508 takes you to h t t p s : / / www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb13-07.html (note, I have added spaces in the 'h t t p s' on purpose)

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/pc-help/2172285/why-can-t-i-get-snipcacom-addresses-to-work

However that being said, I never trust unsolicited emails of this ilk and would update via the Adobe Reader program on my pc (if I had Adobe that is - I don't - I use Foxit Reader)

Pine Man 13 Mar 13

Dump Adobe Reader and try Sumatra - very fast and, hopefully, safer than Adobe Reader.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message