Adobe photshop 7 - printing

eysha 14:26 21 Nov 09

I recently asked a question about calibrating monitor/printer but i have another question to ask which might sound a bit daft to the more experianced here.
In Adobe when selecting NEW, as in document/paper size, you have the option to choose - Bitmap, Grayscale, RGB colour, CYKM colour and Lab clour.
My Canon ip4500 printer takes four colours plus black so should i be selecting the RGB or the CYKM setting in 'NEW' on Adobe for printing out on my Canon which takes four colours plus black??
What are the settings best used for?
Here i am thinking my monitor is probably set to RGB while my printer may be the CKYM setting, hense the printout not matching the screen - is this possible? would save me trying to calibrate monitor/printer or both as i don't feel safe doing that. jsut thought of it as i was reading Fruitbats reply.
Thanks E.

grey george 14:49 21 Nov 09

There is good info. click here

eysha 14:57 21 Nov 09

Thanks but it didn't answer my question and was too complicated for me. a simple answer would be great.

grey george 15:15 21 Nov 09

The monitor would be RGB and will probably be able to display a greater range of colours than any printer. In the properties of the printer there should be a way to adjust the out put. The very basic way to do this takes a little trial and error. Draw a new graphic with say six squares and make each one a different colour. Print this and compare it to your screen image. Now use the properties menu to adjust the printer output. It may be better to do one colour at a time. You could go they other way and adjust your screen until it matched the print. Depending on how good the printers ink management is you may find the calibration drifts off as the cartridges run down. If it's something special your want to produce it may be worth taking the image to a professional print shop where all their equipment will be calibrated.

BT 16:23 21 Nov 09

The Photoshop default is RGB.
CYMK is usually only used for colour separation files for preparation of printing plates.
Your Monitor works in RGB and your printer in CYMK. The conversion is done using Colour Profiles in your software. This is a complicated area and the default ones in PS are usually sufficient for most purposes.

Some information here
click here

Pineman100 18:00 21 Nov 09

As BT says, Photoshop will normally work in RGB - red, green, blue) - for accurate colour rendering on your monitor.

You don't need to worry about changing the file mode to CMYK - cyan, magenta, yellow, key (key means black). The software should give you an acceptably accurate colour rendering on the printer.

But if you want to try out the difference for yourself, create an RGB file containing a colour image and print it out in the normal way. Then go to Image>Mode and click on CMYK. Now print the image again and see how much difference there is between the two printouts. I doubt you'll see any appreciable difference.

eysha 20:47 21 Nov 09

Thanks will try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…