Adobe & Photoshop won't recognise CD

lindyloo4 14:40 07 May 03

I have put some photos in a compressed folder and saved them to CD. I can open them via My Computer if I put the CD in either of the CD drives. However if I try to open them in Adobe the CD shows by the name I called it but the contents are blank. Photoshop gives the error message 'The file specified can not be opened as a supported type'
What am I doing wrong? They are saved as jpeg.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's the compressed folder that's the problem, but how do you put quite a few photos on a CD without doing that? I've already resized the originals.

Thanks in anticipation

Linda (trying to be David Bailey)

_Treb_ 15:28 07 May 03

Try this go into your graphics programme and select "Preferences" and make sure that the jpeg box is ticked in the associate panel.

BRYNIT 15:44 07 May 03

What have you used to compress these files.

lindyloo4 15:57 07 May 03

I right clicked on the original folder then from the menu clicked send to compressed folder.
Is there another way - always willing to learn.

lindyloo4 16:00 07 May 03

Sorry I missed saying I have no problem opening any other jpeg image just this compressed folder.

dogtrack 16:04 07 May 03

You could try dragging one of the files (or more)from within its compressed folder, onto your desktop. Or somewhere of your choice. It would then be accessable from within your Photo program. If you don't like dragging, you could use the right mouse button and the Send To could even add Photoshop to your send to folder. That way all you would have to do is right click any jpeg file, click send to and choose Photoshop from the list... hope this has been of some help.

BRYNIT 16:34 07 May 03

Could be that when in photoshop it can not see or change the compressed file. Remove a photo from the compressed file back onto HD and see if you can open photo. You could also try clicking on a photo in the compressed file it may open in photoshop this way.

lindyloo4 16:55 07 May 03

Thank you all.
I really do believe it's the compressed folder that is the problem. I've made another CD up of just the resized photos ( being a Yorkshire lass I was trying to get as many photos as I could on 1 CD)and that works perfectly. Will have to make do with that.

Thank you all again

hssutton 20:04 07 May 03

Hi Lindyloo

To my mind, the main reason for saving photo's to CD is to keep the maximum resolution possible, in my case Tiffs in the region of 14-15Mb. (being a Yorkshire lad albeit an old one) I wasn,t to impressed with just 60 photo's per CD, so I spent a little brass and bought a DVD writer, now I can store 600-700 images per disk.

Just one point why spoil good photo's by compressing them. I take it you are using a 5Mp camera?

britto 21:32 08 May 03

lindyloo4 A bit late with this reply, but i think your right about compressed folder Adobe can't see them,It works if you open the zipped folder on cd then copy original folder to my pics or whatever to work from.compressing reduces the file by around 12%,but when restored they will be back to original size..........from a fellow tyke

lindyloo4 22:06 08 May 03

Well I'd green ticked and the replies keep coming - Thank you. All ideas I've taken on board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…