Adobe Photoshop Elements 3

sheila.weston 12:36 20 Sep 05

How do I replace the sky in an image? I have directions for doing this with Photoshop, but it doesn't seem to work ie I have selected the sky using the magic brush tool, but pressing the delete key doesn't remove it.

I have a 'sky' image which I want to use, but am not sure how I add it as an extra layer.

many thanks

Sheila

brambles 12:54 20 Sep 05

I personally would use the lasoo tool - anyway select the sky.
Now CLICK CTRL + DELETE keys this will delete the sky.

Now open the JPEG file of the sky you want to incorporate.

Now Make sure you've got the move tool selected.
Click on the new sky - keep the right hand mouse button depressed and drag your new sky onto the original image.

Best of luck

Brambles

dogtrack 14:10 20 Sep 05

hssutton 14:40 20 Sep 05

Here is a tutorial on how to do it click here

You really must use Layers if you want a good job.

If by any chance you're using a "Raw Format" then it's best to process the file twice, one 1-2 stops under exposed and the other 1-2 stops overexposed, then blend them together

David4637 16:44 20 Sep 05

Thats an excellant tutorial. One comment, its a good idea to feather the edge once you have selected the peoples outline otherwise you tend to get a very sharp edge between the people and the sky edge. David

hssutton 16:52 20 Sep 05

Noy only that David you will almost certainly finish up with the "Halo" effect

sheila.weston 12:28 21 Sep 05

Many thanks, everyone. I was rather hasty in posting this query as I have now had time to browse through some old Digital Photo magazines and found out what was wrong. I hadn't changed the background into a layer (>Layer>Layer from background). When this is done the magic wand tool can be used to select the sky, which can then be deleted with the delete key.

The sharp edge can be softened by using the feather (0.5), as David mentions, and also >select>modify>expand (1 pixel).

The tutorial is most useful. Thanks, again.

Sheila

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…