Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0

Pesala 22:53 08 Jun 03

I recently downloaded and installed this latest version of Adobe's famous PDF reader. It is a huge download, 15.4 Mbytes, compared to about 8.6 Mbytes for version 5.1.

I installed it in Windows ME and it works fine, but as one might expect, it loads a bit more slowly than the older version - about 25 seconds instead of 10 seconds. One can reduce to about 13 seconds by disabling the splash screen on startup. My cpu is an AMD Athlon 1Ghz; if you have a newer PC you won't even notice the difference.

There are several new features. Most striking is the option to read documents aloud. This doesn't work on all systems (e.g. Windows 98SE on my friend's PC), and in ME it is so appalling as to be barely audible. I have heard much better from Easy Office.

Nevertheless, it is worth upgrading for the other improvements unless you have a slow PC. The best improvement in my view is the smoothing of line-art. You will already have this if you upgraded to 5.1, but if you are still using earlier versions, don't hesitate to take the plunge.

Version 6.0 will also read eBooks, and there is a neat snapshot tool for grabbing sections of the screen. Dynamic zoom is also very impressive - a feature we will no doubt soon see copied by many other programs. Click the dynamic zoom tool anywhere and drag up to zoom in on that spot, or down to zoom out - fabulous - why didn't I think of that?

VoG™ 23:01 08 Jun 03

Yes I agree, it is a big improvement.

Stupid question - how to disable the splash screen please. No doubt this was of interest to the programmers but why does the average user (including me) need to know what bits and pieces it is loading?

Pesala 23:09 08 Jun 03

uncheck Display Splash Screen.

There are lots of new preferences. A bit much to take on board. Fortunately, most of the defaults are fine. While you're are there you might like to change auto Updates to manually. This one should be good for six months at least.

Belatucadrus 23:09 08 Jun 03

Open reader 6.0, select "Edit" "Preferences" go to "Startup" in the left hand options column and look for a tick box titled " Display Splash screen" in the "Application Startup" box .

VoG™ 23:13 08 Jun 03

Thanks!

-pops- 06:16 09 Jun 03

Note that, as I mentioned in a previous thread, the facility is called "Adobe Reader". The "Acrobat" part seems to have disappeared - end of an era!?!

Brian

IZZY 12:20 09 Jun 03

Thanks for info. Pesala. Think I'll wait for it to apppear on a cover disc. Shouldn't be too long.

Regards, IZZY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…