Adobe Acrobat reader

drcolin 13:30 07 Jul 04

I had to re-install Win98 recently and now my AA 5.0 reader is not recognised when I try to open a .pdf file on line etc. It works fine when I open the programme fully. Any ideas ? Thanks.

€dstowe 13:36 07 Jul 04

Adobe Reader is now version 6. You would be better installing that.

click here

Pesala 13:46 07 Jul 04

Adobe Reader 6 is better than Adobe Acrobat 5, but it depends on your PC. If you're using a Pentium II or earlier with only 64 Mbytes of RAM or less you might be better off with version 5. Version 6.01 will take twice the time to load on most PCs. The difference is noticeable on my 1Ghz AMD Athlon. However, the improvements are worthwhile.

The reason that PDF files don't open in Internet Explorer is to do with plugins. After reinstalling Windows, the file C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll may have got deleted.

The solution is to copy the file from the Adobe folder. I think that is all you need to do, but you might also need to check an option in the preferences for Adobe Acrobat, or even reinstall Adobe Acrobat.

Pesala 13:49 07 Jul 04

Intel® Pentium® processor

Microsoft® Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT® 4.0 with Service Pack 6, Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

32MB of RAM (64MB recommended)

60MB of available hard-disk space

Internet Explorer 5.01, 5.5, 6.0, or 6.1

WillyDR 16:41 07 Jul 04

In order to launch the Adobe Reader speedily, you might be interested in:

Author : Joseph Cox
Forum : click here
Released: 28th April, 2004.

which to my experience is working well...!

€dstowe 16:45 07 Jul 04

I tired that accelerator described above. OK, it may work but I do feel rather sad for anyone who is unable/unwilling to wait just the few seconds it takes for Acrobat Reader to load.

Pesala 17:02 07 Jul 04

It does make a difference, and the program is well designed. Just make sure you read the advice carefully. What I found though, is that once you have loaded the reader once, the second time is then so fast anyway that the speedup becomes neglible.

If you're interested, take a look at my test results: click here

€dstowe 18:44 07 Jul 04

My opinion remains the same.

You achieve a loading time reduction from 15 seconds to twelve - three seconds saved or in another example 4 seconds to three seconds - one second saved. I am finding it difficult to make any comment without seeming to be unreasonably sarcastic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…