adobe acrobat reader

trying 16:40 28 Jul 03

can anyone tell me exactly what an adobe acrobat reader is? what does it do? and why do I need one?
wondering

Chegs ® 16:46 28 Jul 03

Various sites offer .pdf helpfiles.You need Acrobat to read these.

scotty 16:47 28 Jul 03

Acrobat reader is software produced by Adobe. It allows you to read .pdf files (pdf is short for portable document format).

PDF is a popular format for distributing documents as it does not require any specific software on your pc (other than the free acrobat reader software). It offer several advantages in terms of maintaining the format of a document no matter what computer it is viewed on.

xania 16:48 28 Jul 03

But it is free - you can download it from the Adobe website and most software and hardware CDs also come with it available to install so that you can read their manuals.

Ben Avery 16:50 28 Jul 03

Adobe is a software company. Acrobat iis a particular brand of text and graphic document (like Microsoft Word but non adjustable). Reader is a special program they designed which allows Joe Public to view documents which have been converted into Acrobat format.

Basically, I create a Word Document and want to put it onto the internet where people can VIEW it but not make any adjustments. I also want it to be printed in both the UK and the US (therefore on different paper sizes) but to always look the same as how I produced the documnet.

So I use Adobe Acrobat to change the document into a read only type of document (Acrobat) which will allow these people to read my work.

Most web-sites use Acrobat to display documentation for this reason. Therefore, if you want to READ documnets which have been saved this way, you need the free viewer form Adobe available here click here

If you don't need to view these files, you don't need Acrobat Viewer.

BA

palinka 17:00 28 Jul 03

As an example, I think you'll find that various Government sites - eg Inland Revenue - offers you the option of downloading files (like the "Understanding your Tax Code" booklet) and they are pdf.
Answer to your question is - you only need Acrobat when you need to open a pdf file; and anyone sending such files (eg Inland revenue) will offer you the option of downlaoding acrobat there and then.
Depending on who you get emails from, you may sometimes receive pdf files attached to those and therefore need Acrobat to open them - this is the case for me with a Local Authority I often receive mail from.

Stuartli 18:04 28 Jul 03

It's also used for, among many other things, manuals produced in CD-ROM form - it saves a manufacturer having to produce a proper paper manual.

trying 11:33 29 Jul 03

My thanks to
Chegs,scotty,xania,
Ben Avery,palinka,Stuartli.It's the first time I have accessed the pcadvisor site.All your anwers have helped me.you obviuosly can tell I'm new to computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…