//some 3rd party need geo

Adobe Acrobat 5.0 won't open PDF file in IE 6.0

Trikie 10:10 04 Nov 03

The subject title says it all!

The website author says it should open on a single left click. I can't find a menu with "open as" either.

Please how does a novice proceed from here

Tog 10:21 04 Nov 03

Open Adobe Acrobat 5, click on edit , click on preferences and make sure "Display pdf in browser" is checked.

pdf files normally take a long time to download unless you have broadband, so be patient.

Tog 10:21 04 Nov 03

Open Adobe Acrobat 5, click on edit , click on preferences and make sure "Display pdf in browser" is checked.

pdf files normally take a long time to download unless you have broadband, so be patient.

Tog 10:22 04 Nov 03

My finger must be stuttering...

Trikie 11:22 04 Nov 03

Thanks Tog. This box was already checked..... Now what?

Tog 11:36 04 Nov 03

Anyone else got an idea?

Tog 11:41 04 Nov 03

Can you right-click the link and get the "save target as" option?

Trikie 13:21 04 Nov 03

The website owner suggested that - no joy.

Wak 13:37 04 Nov 03

Trikie, I have found that some of the older PDF files were made at the same time as Adobe 4.0 or earlier and were instructed to look for a file in Adobe called Acroread.exe.
Later on, Adobe upgraded and changed the operative file to be called AcroRd32.exe and consequently the earlier PDF files cannot find the file they need.
What I suggest, is to look in your current Adobe program (using Windows Explorer), find the file called AcroRd32.exe, copy this file to another spare folder and rename this file as Acroread.exe.
Now, copy this renamed file back into the Adobe program so that you will now have the same operative file under two different names.
Now when you use PDF files, the earlier ones will look for and use the Acroread.exe file while the later (current) ones will look for and use the AcroRd32.exe file.
I find this works very well.

Trikie 14:19 04 Nov 03

Thanks Wak The file that I'm unable to open was created about 3 weeks ago. Does this rule out your suggestion?

I am keeping a note of it for possible future use.

Wak 15:26 04 Nov 03

Trikie, Can you download the PDF file into an ordinary file (like Documents) then find the file in Windows Explorer, right click it and select OPEN. It should then open OK in Adobe.
I seem to remember that I had this problem when trying to open a PDF file direct from the web which is when I discovered that it was an old PDF file still using Adobe 4.0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…